Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying speakers

Default Buying speakers

Hello
    I'm not very speaker-savvy so I figured I'd ask for some help on buying new speakers. I have this sound card and I will be using them to watch movies, listen to music and play games. I don't really know where to start looking so some advice would be great.

-Diamon
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Default Re: Buying speakers

It's really hard to go wrong with Logitech. One of their higher end 2.1 setups will do all that perfectly, without major cord mess and honestly, I never miss the other satellites.

This is coming from a 20-year musician who ca hear page turns in classical music. So long as the speakers are GOOD, you should be happy.

Otherwise, you can always look at a headset...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Thanks, I DO already have a headset but it's kind of annoying to always wear em when I'm at the computer etc.
    I think you're right about going for a 2.1 setup since I can always use the 5.1 headset if I need the 3D sound for gaming. Will look at some of their 2.1 speaker packs.

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Logitech is the way to go as far as their higher end stuff. altec lansing speakers haven't ever let me down either. I had my system hooked up to a Yamaha 5.1 surround and it was the best sound I've heard come from a computer. Really really close though was the z-5500 by logitech of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

its too bad, the other day woot had a pair of altech lansings for only $50, they sound amazing.
    Not dead yet

What about these? They seem to be good and they have the added benefit of going perfectly with the clear acrylic case I'm building

-TheOatmeal

Quality wise Harmon Kardon are one of the best. And if they match the casae you're going to build I's say sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Just ordered the Harmon Kardon speakers.
    I'm expecting them tomorrow

-TheOatmeal

I listened to em once at best buy, sound is pretty nice. Looks amazing. You shouldn't be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    I listened to em once at best buy, sound is pretty nice. Looks amazing. You shouldn't be disappointed.
    Great to hear

The only real problem I've seen with them from reviews etc is that it's only apple fanboys buying em except me ^^. At least from the ones I've watched/read.

-TheOatmeal