Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killed My Modem?

Default Re: Killed My Modem?

ARGHH! Doing it again. Unplugging and replugging the rj45 did nothing this time; must have been a coincidence.

100% packet loss pinging the modem.

WTF. Power cycling does nothing.

EDIT: Maybe there is something just wrong with that cable. Switched to another cable and it is working fine again. Guess we will see tomorrow if it happens again.

You rearranged your place. Did you plug into a different cable receptacle? Does it work perfectly (without intermittent) failure in the original receptacle? (If so, could be bad in-wall wiring.)

Perhaps you've moved an electrically noisy item (flourescent lighting, radio transmitter, 1000W PC mod, etc) and it's now producing EMI or crosstalk across one of the lines between your computer and your ISP?

I assume you've tried any reset switches already ...
    Use a continuity meter to check all your cables.
    Use an electrical contact cleaner on all the RJ pins and leads.

I doubt you've cooked it; if you did then it wouldn't work at all. I second what's above, 1.5A is just the maximum rating the wall wart can handle before melting ... Something like a 12V lead-acid battery will suck as many amps as it can while recharging, something like a modem with an embedded microcontroller cannot.

I'm assuming you don't overclock your modem. But maybe it's sitting in a new location where airflow is a problem and it's overheating? I'm assuming you didn't drop or bang it while moving things?

Those are my best guesses. Of course, it could just be your ISP or cable techs mucking around, or they've tapped one home too many into your end-of-the-line feed ... who knows.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Sorry I hadn't seen this before.

I haven't noticed it happening since. Everything was put back in the same spots, just a different location in the room. I only have one cable input in the apartment, so that didn't change.

Forgot to mention they were digging up the road, pipes, water lines, power lines, etc. out front of the apartment complex and another huge set of buildings that were erected right next door were doing electrical work at that time. There also was a huge influx of tenants leaving and new ones coming into our complex, so maybe a lot of crap was going with Comcast canceling old services and setting up new ones. *shrug*

Hasn't happened since that week. Then again I didn't swap back the original rj45 cable either. Who knows what fixed it.