Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killed My Modem?

Default Killed My Modem?

I think I killed my modem, but want to see if anyone agrees.

Rearranged the apartment and used the wrong AC adapter for our modem. Accidentally used the one from an external hard drive, as the tips are exactly the same. The modem wants 12V 750mA, and the drive adapter was 12V 1.5A. I didn't think that would be an issue as the modem seemed to work fine last night after switching back to the correct adapter.

Today I am getting nothing but problems. Internet connection cuts out for long periods of time. Not entirely but super freaking slow. On a 30mbit connection I get maybe 1KB download.

Windows error report said modem problem. Pinging my router gets 1ms with no loss. Pinging the modem gets huge loss, 75%+, going to do a more thorough ping to see how much its dropping.

At the same voltage I figured there wasn't an issue with using the wrong adapter, but I've done power cycling, got to the modems webpage and told it to do a factory reset and still having issues.

Any ideas, or just stuck with buying a new one? And it isn't the cable as I'm watching tv without issue, and pay my bill in full every month early.

Default Re: Killed My Modem?

This is frustrating as it seems intermittent.

Swapped cat6 cables and all of a sudden out of 100 pings I get 0% loss. Switch back to the cable that was in there, 100 pings 0% loss. Thought I had found the issue. ARGH.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I doubt you damaged your modem with that PSU - the V rating is a constant and can cause problems if you have the wrong one. The Amps is the max that the PSU can supply - the device (modem in this case) draws whatever power it needs. If you had done it the other way around, attached a 1.5a device to a 0.7a PSU then things would be different - but it'd have been the PSU you killed, not the device in all liklihood. It kinda sounds like it could be a dodgy RJ45 port and the slight movement in the cable is enough to make or break a connection. Personally I'd want to eliminate every possibility first, including that the problem might be the RJ45 on your PC.... THEN spend money...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Ya, I figured as much with the power adapter, it was just that it was the only variable that had changed.

The RJ45 cable that was swapped was the one from the modem to the router. PC is connected via wireless, and I tried several PC's in the house. All had similar connection issues and packet loss rate.

I found it strange that it would work for hours then cut out for half hour then come back again. It is tucked behind my TV, so there is absolutely no movement there to wiggle the cable. Temps are fine as the room is air conditioned and there is a fan behind the TV.

Maybe I just plugged the cable in poorly. Have to wait and see. The intermittent problem makes me concerned it may be something more.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Any other ports on the modem? What about bypassing the router?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

The modem is a Motorola SB5101, and the router is a WRT320N. So, only one RJ45 and one USB port on the modem.

After I replaced the cable everything seems fine, but I will wait to see if it reoccurs as it was an intermittent problem that happened every few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    The modem is a Motorola SB5101, and the router is a WRT320N. So, only one RJ45 and one USB port on the modem.

After I replaced the cable everything seems fine, but I will wait to see if it reoccurs as it was an intermittent problem that happened every few hours.
    It could be everyone on your street with the same cable service downloading the entire internet...that would slow it to a crawl as well. Check to see if it's happening around the same time of day each day.
    The internet at my place of work is dsl and suffers from other subscribers downloading everything they see as if it won't be there tomorrow. The software we use only works when it's connected to an off-site server, so no internet means nothing happens. If only those in charge would put in a T1...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

If it was Comcast's infrastructure that shouldn't affect being able to ping the modem successfully.

Even with their infrastructure getting pounded, if I've got no inbound/outbound traffic, I should be able to ping the modem to my hearts content and still get 0 packet loss, not 75% out of ~500 pings done that afternoon.

So far it is alright. I'm going to chalk it up to bad rj45 connection until it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    If it was Comcast's infrastructure that shouldn't affect being able to ping the modem successfully.
    My bad, I somehow didn't realize it was your modem you were pinging.
    The cables aren't stretched taut are they?...Or bent sharply as Cat cables do have a maximum bend radius. I know a guy that wrapped the excess cable tightly around a small diameter bar on the back of his desk and tied it off tightly...he couldn't figure out why his connection would fail or deliver corrupted files. I told him if he tied knots in his cable the packets wouldn't be able to fit through it!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Haha, nope, no major bends. It does 270 degrees over ~2 meters.