Thread: Best Paint to use Inside Case?

Fresh Paint

Default Best Paint to use Inside Case?

I recently purchased a Xion Solaris Green and black themed Case, This one.

now its green themed and all but just doesnt have enough for my tastes, i plan on Cutting off the Whole cheesy X thats on the front of the clear side, so i can see inside better, and im going to install 2 more Green Light Tubes on the right and left sides behind the window where you cant see them.

anyway to the point of this thread, i thought it would be pretty cool if i could Paint the majority of the metal inside of the case, Lime Green, now im completly new to case modding of this sort, so i would like to know what kind of paint would be best and safest to use inside of the case?

ALSO! i do not have access to expensive types of paint, im talking things i can get at a True Value or something lol spray paints etc... im just worried about flamability issues

EDIT: Also i was wondering where i could find Green Mesh Wire sleeves... Newegg and the more popular sites dont seem to sell it...
    Windows 7 64bit
    Nvidia 9800GT (soon to be Nvidia GTX 460)
    4 Gigs RAM (upgrading to 8 ASAP)
    500 Gig Seagate 7800RPM Hard Drive
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3.00GHz

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Best Paint to use Inside Case?

You'll need at least two, and possibly three paints to do this right. The first will be a self-etching primer. Now some etch primers need a regular primer over the top before paint, some are ready for paint as the next coat after the etch, hence two OR three, either etch and colour, or etch, primer, and colour.

The etch is VERY VERY important - if you skip this step, I guarantee you'll have paint peeling off within 3 months....

You should also get some sandpaper, around 240 grit, to scratch the metal with before etching - it gives the etch a little extra help in finding something to grip onto.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

SoC - I don't mean to contradict you here, but if he's sanding with 240, an etch primer really shouldn't be necessary. My process would be:

1. Sand 320 or 240 would suffice
    2. Wax and grease remover
    3. High build primer
    4. Sand - 400
    5. Prime
    6. Sand - 400
    7. Base (using auto air and my gun)
    8. Art (airbrush)
    9. Clear
    10. Polish
    11. Profit!

Vash - Since you said you don't have access to a spray gun, Krylon or duplicolor should do just fine.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

My background is automotive lol. I tend to use techniques which will stand up to 90mph which is overkill sometimes, but even an etch primer works better with some kind of a key to grip to.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd go with a high-build primer on the inside of a case. Externally, yes, every time, but I tend to use a low-build primer inside cases, with a highbuild on the external surfaces I'm going to want a mirror finish on.

The fact is, neither I nor SgtM is right or wrong. They're different techniques to achieve a similar result. The most important step, and I think SgtM will agree here, is preparation. Make sure it's nice and clean before any kind of paint (primer, colour, clear, anything) is applied. A key of some kind always helps the next layer of paint to adhere properly too, so until you're on your last coat of clear, don't kill yourself trying to get a surface perfectly smooth - a little texture (very little admittedly) always helps the next coat.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

SoC, I think you hit the nail on the head with that last post.

Fresh Paint

Cool, Thanks for the tips guys, ill run down the hardware store and pick up these supplies tomorrow, case still hasnt gotten here so i got some time to get supplies
    Windows 7 64bit
    Nvidia 9800GT (soon to be Nvidia GTX 460)
    4 Gigs RAM (upgrading to 8 ASAP)
    500 Gig Seagate 7800RPM Hard Drive
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3.00GHz

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Quote Originally Posted by VashUndead View Post
    EDIT: Also i was wondering where i could find Green Mesh Wire sleeves... Newegg and the more popular sites dont seem to sell it...
    Here you go:
    http://www.xoxide.com/sleevingkits.html

Performance pcs offer sleeving services for products you buy off their site.
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ain_page=index
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w