Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contest: Win a Texas Instruments LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev Kit!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Contest: Win a Texas Instruments LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev Kit!

TBCS has teamed up with The Makers Workbench and Texas Instruments to bring you a small contest to celebrate the new MicroCentral forum here at TBCS. Texas Instruments has kindly donated 4 LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev kits to give away here at TBCS to 4 lucky members.

Entering to win is simple, all you have to do is post what you would use your LaunchPad kit for. In 5 weeks I will pick 4 winners and will have Texas Instruments ship the kits direct to you.

There are only 4 to give away so be ad detailed as possible in your entry. It does not have to be PC Modding related but since TBCS is a modding site, PC related entries is always a bonus.

So post your entries here in this thread. They can be a simple worded description, a video description or even a detailed 3d presentation. I will not give extra points on the type of entry you post and will judge them all the same.

LaunchPad Kit Contents

* LaunchPad Development board (MSP-EXP430G2)
    * Mini USB cable
    * 2x MSP430 flash devices
    o MSP430G2211IN14 flash device
    o MSP430G2231IN14 flash device (preloaded with sample program)
    * 10-pin PCB Connectors (2 male & 2 female)
    * 32kHz crystal (MS3V-T1R 32.768kHz CL: 12.5pF +/-20ppm, www.microcrystal.com)
    * Quick Start Guide
    * 2x LaunchPad stickers

Free & Downloadable Compilers/Debuggers (IDEs)

There are many other compilers and integrated development environments (IDEs) for MSP430 including Rowley Crossworks and MSPGCC. However, example projects have been created using IAR Embedded Workbench KickStart and Code Composer Studio (CCS). Both IAR and CCS have free, code-limited versions, which are available for download. These IDEs will run full-featured on the available MSP430 Value Line devices, as these devices will not encounter the 4kB size limit of IAR, or the 16kB size limit of CCS.

* Code Composer Studio (CCS) | Download Now (Requires TI Login)
    * IAR Embedded Workbench KickStart | Download Now

The links above direct to free, code-limited versions. IAR Embedded Workbench KickStart is a free 4kB code-limited version and CCS v4 offers a free 16kB code-limited version. As MSP430 Value Line devices are below this limit, the free versions of each IDE will run full-featured on MSP430 Value Line devices.

Linux Support

There is currently no official support for the Linux operating system. IAR Embedded Workbench does work under WINE in Ubuntu 10.04 but the LaunchPad itself doesn't map to a /dev/ttyUSB* port but rather to /dev/ACM0. Linking com1 under WINE to ACM0 doesn't allow for a debug connection through the IDE.

* Ramblings and Broken Code has an msp430-gcc tutorial that is geared toward Arch Linux users.
    * eclecticc has a guide for Ubuntu users (you'll need to follow the instructions from MyLightSwitch on compiling mspgcc and mspdebug from source first).

Mac OS X Support

There is currently no official support for the Mac OS X operating system. See MSP430_LaunchPad_Mac_OS_X for some rough, unsupported instructions on compiling mspgcc and mspdebug for Mac OS X.
    Features

Default Re: Contest: Win a Texas Instruments LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev Kit!

Make a controller for my pool that I could control from my phone via email (SMS) so that I could start my spa heater, etc on my way home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Default Re: Contest: Win a Texas Instruments LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev Kit!

I'll give one of my old robots a brain with one of these! This robot was built a long time ago from a magazine. It will be interest to do programming on it from scratch and building it with better intelligence so it can use all of it sensors instead of just one set at a time.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I haven't had a chance to look at all its capabilities, but I would use it to continue learning about micro controllers, and if capable, drive an lcd character display for one of my mods.

I will edit this another time, if allowed, as I am tired as heck.

I can't believe these are only $4.30 directly from TI. I haven't checked shipping but that seems fantastic.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I would use it to control the charging and firing systems of my coilgun. It would control the switching frequency of the charging circuit, the firing sequence of multiple coils, and it would display status information concerning the charge of the various capacitor banks.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Yes you can edit your entry as many times as you want!

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I would use the LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev Kit to control a visual effects system on my car. It would turn lights on the underside on and off and also lights in side the car on command or in response to engine revolutions.
    Need a sig

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

I'd use the LaunchPad Micro Controller Dev Kit to help cue music on my computer based on the crowds reaction ( during a party) using voice sampling with a microphone.
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Fresh Paint

simple, something i was always tring o figure out how to do. Complete case automation, allowing for direct monitor of fans apetures and vents based on temp inside the case at various areas, with possibal integration of some sort of sound controler to keep the noise down (ie: at night when i should be sleeping)

I would use it to control RGB LEDs that reacted to the heat that my system was outputting, and also have it control the fans accordingly, (red= hot, blue = cool) when it starts to turn red it ups the fan speed to help, and can kick on a back up fan to go from a pull configuration, to a push pull config. With help from you guys, write a code that lets the leds pulse with the systems audio output. imagine your computer strobing while you fire an automatic weapon . Then i would use it to take over the world...
    Not dead yet