Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to: Working with electronics

Default Re: How to: Working with electronics

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree
    Strip, twist, solder, sleeving... D'Oh!
    Ph how meny times i have done that, i think i rem now, but normally ppl read the whole post before attempting it, so i added that hea shrink after i had writtenm it, i couldn't be arsed to go up and add it, re-numbering everything.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Haha, roger that, 50% of the time I forget to sleeve it until AFTER I solder.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Anodized

great guide love it helpful

Overclocked

i must say. nice guide.

for all the years i have been taking solder on my iron's tip and placing it on well fluxxed copper and component lead. it worked, but i never thought it worked well.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis
    Haha, roger that, 50% of the time I forget to sleeve it until AFTER I solder.
    After doing splices/heat shrinking for McDonnel Douglas (yes that MD-11 has some of my wiring in it...) for 7 months I NEVER forget the heat shrink tubing anymore. Ok 99% of the time I never forget...

Thanks for the guide. Even veteran solder'ers need to brush up on thier techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    for all the years i have been taking solder on my iron's tip and placing it on well fluxxed copper and component lead. it worked, but i never thought it worked well.
    That should work ok, but most solder has the flux inside it and once melted, it's gone. Fluxing the joint and applying molten solder to it will be fine. In fact, that's exactly how most automatic soldering machines work. Or used to, before surface mount and hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    you welcome all, and i put the atom thing in as a basic guide, i thought i would give a bit of insite into how it works.

Took me about 3H ours to write it. and if you want to start a proper section on How To's/Guides i am more than willing to help.

Hi everyone,

My name's Alan Winstanley, the Online Editor of EPE Magazine in the UK, and the author of the Basic Soldering Guide.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted users of this forum to know that the soldering guide article posted at the start of this thread was not written by the user concerned but is a direct verbatim copy of my own material. I notice that my name and magazine credits have been removed. My "Basic Soldering Guide" is the No.1 source on the Internet and has been for many years. (Just Google for soldering.)

See http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

I thought I'd clarify that the user who claims he took 3 hours to write it, did not originate it, and the photographs are mine too. Additionally no permission was granted by me for images to be streamed in from the EPE web server to supplement the material. Apart from one exception in 1999, I never allow these photos to be republished.

Furthermore the original poster has no authority to grant permission to allow others to reproduce my material on their own sites, or they will be in breach of my copyright as well.

Hoping the above clarifies the matter.

Alan Winstanley
    EPE Magazine Online Editor
    www.epemag.co.uk

Email alan [at] epemag.demon.co.uk

Images from:
    Swansontec, epemag
    He has made references to your material at the end of it, but it is not as clear as it should be. Although thebestcasescenario.com will not accept reponsibility for what's posted (although we do try to keep it clean) i'd like to maybe clear this one up-as the guide is very good, and we'd like to keep hosting a version.

Obviously, as it infringes on your copyright, we'll remove it if you request it. Personally, i'm hoping we can reach some kind of middle ground.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I've emailed some proposals for a compromise to allow the text to be retained, and I now await a response.

EPE Magazine does try hard to help the hobbyist community but the OP does of course give the clear impression that he wrote the material, which he did not. It would also have been polite to ask first, just like other web site owners asked HIM if they could re-use the material on their sites. (!!)

There had never been anything to prevent linking to the main page of the soldering guide however.

Thank you for your understanding.

-- ARW

Visit the EPE Forum at EPE Chat Zone

Alan thanks for visiting and bringing this matter to the attention of myself and the staff here. I've sent you an email as well to help clear this up.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.