Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling Advise

Fresh Paint

Default Water Cooling Advise

Hey Guys, I have absolutly no experience in building custom water cooling systems, but the new rig needs one, so here goes nothing. Heres what the computer is running:
    -Corsair Obsidian 800D case
    -EVGA Classified SLI 4-way Mobo
    -Intel i7 980X hexacore processor
    -2x EVGA GTX 480 SC GPUs
    -12 gb Corsair Domintor RAM

What I have planned for water cooling is this:
    -Fesser One X-360 TFC Xchanger Triple 120mm rad http://www.tfc-xchanger.com/

-Swifttech MCP655 12V pump (1/2" barbs) http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp655.asp

-XSPC BR525DUG Dual bay Acrylic resevoir http://www.xspc.biz/dualbayclear2.php

-Koolance NX-480 Full Cover SLI water blocks x2 http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...roduct_id=1017

-Swifttech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Chrome water block http://www.swiftnets.com/

-All tubing is going to be 1/2" with Bitspower True silver barb fittins and hose clamps.

What I am thinking is running a single loop from res, to the pump, to the bottom GPU, top GPU, CPU, then Radiator mounted on the top of the case back down the the res.

What do you guys think about this system? should I switch the loop so its going pump>CPU>GPU 1>GPU 2> rad?

thanks in advance

Default Re: Water Cooling Advise

ummm.... i would be extremely careful about the koolance blocks... from what i remember koolance has a tendancy to use aluminum which will lead to some nasty galvanic corrosion with the copper.. For a GTX 480 i would recommend this guy http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-gt...r-version.html from dangerden. also, compression fittings would look far far better if cost isnt a big issue...
    Not dead yet

Fresh Paint

From what I found on Koolance's website it is a solid Copper block with a nickle coating with stainless top cover for the acrylic illuminated lid

hmm... could you link all the WC products? lol... hate to be a pest... im just too tired to google
    Not dead yet

Fresh Paint

links up

I would second the compression fittings and switch the loop to res>pump>cpu>gpu>gpu>rad as cpus are less tolerant of heat than gpus.
    As for Koolance, I've been running a VID-290 for about 3 years now with no problems. It's copper and stainless steel. I also have been running their RP-1000 which is still working great, even without their 'special non-warranty-voiding coolant'. I would guess the rest of their products are pretty good as well.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

The system and loop components look good. I would also recommend running the block CPU-GPU-GPU, for the reason mDust stated. I would also recommend getting more radiator space. You're cooling the three hottest components on the market right now...I would want at least 4x120 worth of rad space, if not more.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

If I were to run the second radiator (120mm single Fesser One Xchanger) would it be advisable to run a second pump to keep flow rates up?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
    If I were to run the second radiator (120mm single Fesser One Xchanger) would it be advisable to run a second pump to keep flow rates up?
    Nah, that pump is plenty powerful. Flow rate actually isn't all that important anyway. As long as the water is moving, you're good to go.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Yeah, that one pump is more than enough. Let me put it this way. I have a single DDC-12V 18W (which is less powerful the one you're using) pushing a CPU block, a NB block, a mosfet block, a full-coverage GPU block, a Black Ice GTX120 (1x120), a Black Ice Extreme III (3x120), and a TFC Monsta (3x140 + super thick), and it still keeps a very quick flow rate. Pumps like these that are specifically designed for use in PC liquid cooling systems are very powerful.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV