Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend a good Airbrush/Compressor for case modding?

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Can you recommend a good Airbrush/Compressor for case modding?

Is getting the proper parts going to be difficult to hook up the air brush to the compressor?

Home depot should carry something shouldnt they?

If i brought in the airbrush, i guess they could find something.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by PiNPOiNT
    Is getting the proper parts going to be difficult to hook up the air brush to the compressor?

Home depot should carry something shouldnt they?

If i brought in the airbrush, i guess they could find something.
    I'm not sure...ask tybrenis, he'll probably know.

Fresh Paint

Thanks again for your help guys, I ended up getting the husky 3 gallon tank one that i posted before, and the Paashe VLS airbrush.

Everything works great, but i have a few more questions that hopefully you can answer.

1. Is it normal for the compressor to only fill up to around 80 PSI when it goes all the way up to 160 before auto shutting off?

2. How much water/paint mix do you normally use for airbrushing? The paint i got didnt have any measurements on it.

3. What should i look for when the airbrush is only applying paint intermitterly. It started doing that for a while then fixed itself again, Is this a sign of blocked paint, or feeder bottle or something else?

Thanks again for your time, you've all been a great help!

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Thanks again for your help guys, I ended up getting the husky 3 gallon tank one that i posted before, and the Paashe VLS airbrush.

Everything works great, but i have a few more questions that hopefully you can answer.

1. Is it normal for the compressor to only fill up to around 80 PSI when it goes all the way up to 160 before auto shutting off?

2. How much water/paint mix do you normally use for airbrushing? The paint i got didnt have any measurements on it.

3. What should i look for when the airbrush is only applying paint intermitterly. It started doing that for a while then fixed itself again, Is this a sign of blocked paint, or feeder bottle or something else?

Thanks again for your time, you've all been a great help!
    Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, but it looks like you make the same choices I would have anyways! The compressor and the airbrush are an excellent choice.

1. When you say it only fills to 80 PSI, do you mean the tank PSI or the line PSI? On your compressor, just like mine, you will notice there are two seperate pressure gauges. The one on the left is reading the PSI of the inside of the tank. 80 PSI, for this, is quite normal. The gauge with the regulator knob on the right side is reading out how much PSI the compressor is sending to your airbrush. Provided that you have a full tank, you should be able to turn this all the way up to 100 PSI.

2. Thinning your paint relies on a number of factors. It depends on what type of paint you are using. Generally, however, using a Paasche airbrush at say 75 PSI, you will normally want to attain a viscosity about that of milk. Here is a very comprehensive guide about thinning paints for airbrushing:

http://www.craigcentral.com/models/thinning.asp

3. Your paint is most likely not thinned properly. It also could have formed a clot in the airbrush, clogged the needle or tip, anything. Just make sure to thing your paint properly and use the correct air pressure. On this page, there is a rough guide detailing which pressures work well for different applications:

http://www.currys.com/knowledge/aboutcompr2.html

Good luck, and have fun! Don't get frustrated, and ALWAYS CLEAN YOUR BRUSH! Also, never soak it and leave it! Always clean it properly, when using solvent based paints, acetone and a respirator are your friends!
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Fresh Paint

Ask and ye shall recieve. hehe thanks tybrenis for clearning things up for me, im glad i got the right stuff

You mentioned that 75 PSI should be good with a Paashe airbrush, however in the manual for the airbrush it says that i should use between 25 and 35 psi only. How much pressure would be too much?

I understand that you need to lower the pressure if your going to do some really fine detail subtle stuff, but is 75 to high?

Also, when buying paint, do they sell a package of like 30 different colours or anything? or is there any particular special ones that i should by eg: primer, black and white?

Thanks again for your time.

Ask and ye shall recieve. hehe thanks tybrenis for clearning things up for me, im glad i got the right stuff

You mentioned that 75 PSI should be good with a Paashe airbrush, however in the manual for the airbrush it says that i should use between 25 and 35 psi only. How much pressure would be too much?

I understand that you need to lower the pressure if your going to do some really fine detail subtle stuff, but is 75 to high?

Also, when buying paint, do they sell a package of like 30 different colours or anything? or is there any particular special ones that i should by eg: primer, black and white?

Thanks again for your time.
    Hey,

Glad things are working out for you. Most of the time I am airbrushing something, I am using a stencil, or simply airbrushing the entire item by simply going back and forth over it. For this, yes, 75 PSI works great. It often depends on the substance. Since the Paasche VLS is a siphon feed and not a gravity fed airbrush, it requires a bit of higher pressure. When airbrushing something like models, you will definately want to airbrush at a much lower PSI like around 35, but for case modding, I am usually airbrushing plexi or metal or something of the sort, and end up using a much higher PSI becaue the paint atomizes easier and dries quicker.

You can really use and type of paint to airbrush with, provided that it's properly thinned. However, I strongly recomend using airbrush-ready paints when your beginning, it will honestly make your life so much easier. Waterbased paints are great because they are a sinch to clean up and don't make a mess. I highly recomend Createx airbrush paints to begin with, I was just at Michael's craft store yesterday and they are now stocking their paints... in almost 50 different colors. Might want to check them out, I'm sure they can be found other places, a local paint store of mine also carries them.
    Typo:

Fresh Paint

Createx, that's the brand of the bottle i just got,

So when you fill one of the little air brush bottles what percentage of createx paint vs water would you say if you were to fill the whole bottle?

so far i've had the best results with about 50/50

This createx stuff is good for plastic and metal correct? it didnt mention it on the bottle i have. but if that's what you recommend, then that's what ill get.

Createx, that's the brand of the bottle i just got,

So when you fill one of the little air brush bottles what percentage of createx paint vs water would you say if you were to fill the whole bottle?

so far i've had the best results with about 50/50

This createx stuff is good for plastic and metal correct? it didnt mention it on the bottle i have. but if that's what you recommend, then that's what ill get.
    If it is createx paint for airbrushing, you don't have to thin it, it is pre-thinned to the correct viscosity.
    Typo:

Fresh Paint

oh really? hrm, cause i found it wasn't coming out easily, i had to thin it down to get it working properly, perhaps ill try again with a higher PSI

thanks for the help!

BE SURE TO CLEAN YOUR AIRBRUSH WHEN FINISHED!

Lol, sorry to use all caps, but I had to learn that the hard way. I got stuck for about an hour trying to pull the needle out after it sat and dried inside. So please clean out your airbrush, it'll make your life alot easier.