Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: project learning?

Default project learning?

hello everyone. i want to first say thank you to buzz for helping me out a bit earlier.
    i have a mini bike that has been going to waste for some time now. im currently working on rebuilding the engine. i am looking into performance parts. i am a bit scarred tho i mean if i take the Governor out i cant make the bike go 35 ish. if i had some little things it can go up to 50. im not sue what im going to do. but if i get hurt or killed it will be documented lol. now onto the pictures.

this is before i did anything to the bike.

as you can see the condition it is in is not very good.
    someone left it out last winter. so that is why its all rusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Default Re: project learning?

next i took the engine off the frame,turns out it was easier without the chain lol.

the bike engineless.

the engine before i tore it apart.

when i tore it halfway apart.

just a different view.

i am now down to the camshaft. i have to get batteries for the camera. and a breaker bar for 2 little bolts inside the opening. i have to replace the rods in there as well. if you guys have any tips feel free to give me advice. all this is very new to me.

im going to clean every piece very good. get all the rust,dirt,and oil off everything. im thinking about painting it but im not to sure what i can paint be sides the body and what colors.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Just something I've realized, despite everyone with more experience constantly warning me, if you're going to be using the tools that you buy, get the good ones. Yeah, they cost more. But they tend to not break/fail like the cheap ones do. Even if they do fail, companies like Craftsman will replace the tool with a new one at no charge for the rest of your life.
    Working on my car last month broke several of the cheapo sockets and the wrench itself from the very first tool set I ever bought (like 10 years ago). A socket should never break when torquing on it by hand...

Anyway, minibikes are fun! Good luck getting it running.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Looks good! I consider that to be great shape!

What is the deal with the clutch? I know nothing about these big wheel, but something has me scratching my head.

I would try and get the most out of the engine without spending money, then strap the biggest rear sprocket I can get on it. But I like low-end grunt. Are you going to mess with sprockets at all? If you are looking for more top-end speed then that is the easiest way to do it. If you can get more power out of the engine in the lower RPM range and you stick a smaller sprocket on it you'll have about the same acceleration, but raise your top-speed considerably. That combined with the raised gov' you could easily kill yourself. It is all a balancing act though. Enough gear to get your butt moving with as little as possible so you aren't RPM'ing the snot out of it.

Random thought for you is I know people who run go-karts, and stuff without clutches. If you just want a top-speed machine that is always a option... Just make a scooter-style kick stand so you can just push off when you get it started! This might be a bit much though... Haha.

Good luck to you sir! I love having projects like these! My Honda ATC was a nice simple project. I have a little mini bike someone left at my house I may fiddle with next. And I'm really wanting to try and stuff a Cheby 305SB I have laying around in a Deere lawn mower (riding tractor). Now THAT is killing yourself! Just be prepared to go FULL RETARD!

Will be watching! Can't wait to see what you do! I hope you do some fancy paint for the frame. I used to have a little 3HP mini bike when I was little that I did a nice flake paint on. It really made all the difference on the looks!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Just something I've realized, despite everyone with more experience constantly warning me, if you're going to be using the tools that you buy, get the good ones. Yeah, they cost more. But they tend to not break/fail like the cheap ones do. Even if they do fail, companies like Craftsman will replace the tool with a new one at no charge for the rest of your life.
    Working on my car last month broke several of the cheapo sockets and the wrench itself from the very first tool set I ever bought (like 10 years ago). A socket should never break when torquing on it by hand...

Anyway, minibikes are fun! Good luck getting it running.
    i know all about those got dam cheap ass tools. bought a huge C clamp for a dollar and it snapped in half on me.

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Looks good! I consider that to be great shape!

What is the deal with the clutch? I know nothing about these big wheel, but something has me scratching my head.

I would try and get the most out of the engine without spending money, then strap the biggest rear sprocket I can get on it. But I like low-end grunt. Are you going to mess with sprockets at all? If you are looking for more top-end speed then that is the easiest way to do it. If you can get more power out of the engine in the lower RPM range and you stick a smaller sprocket on it you'll have about the same acceleration, but raise your top-speed considerably. That combined with the raised gov' you could easily kill yourself. It is all a balancing act though. Enough gear to get your butt moving with as little as possible so you aren't RPM'ing the snot out of it.

Random thought for you is I know people who run go-karts, and stuff without clutches. If you just want a top-speed machine that is always a option... Just make a scooter-style kick stand so you can just push off when you get it started! This might be a bit much though... Haha.

Good luck to you sir! I love having projects like these! My Honda ATC was a nice simple project. I have a little mini bike someone left at my house I may fiddle with next. And I'm really wanting to try and stuff a Cheby 305SB I have laying around in a Deere lawn mower (riding tractor). Now THAT is killing yourself! Just be prepared to go FULL RETARD!

Will be watching! Can't wait to see what you do! I hope you do some fancy paint for the frame. I used to have a little 3HP mini bike when I was little that I did a nice flake paint on. It really made all the difference on the looks!
    honestly i have no idea. i do have to change out the sprocket on the engine. this motor is normally 6.5 hp with i think 3300rpms. it can go about 19mph as is. if i take the Governor off it will run at 6600 rpms. as for the clutch i do believe it is that huge round rusted thing but don't quote me on that. im trying to get the best performance for as little money as possible. im going to change the air filter.

oh yeah of course it is going to be painted, just not sure on the colors yet. might go light green to neon orange or something.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Yes, sir the rusty round thing with the small sprocket on it is the clutch. But it is confusing the hell out of me. It is like something is on wrong. The clutch runs a chain to the jack shaft which goes to the rear sprocket. It is almost like something was on backwards?

The cheapest things to do IMO is air flow mods, fuel, and sprockets. Port the head, make a free-flowing exhaust, and make the exhaust port on the head match the exhaust flange (I can explain this if you like). then of course a nice flowing air cleaner. I wouldn't bother with a oiled one. No need. Then rejet the carb. Sprockets are cheap. Just find one that has similar specs. If you can't find a exact match, some measuring, and a drill can make it work. I did this with a Honda XR80 when I was a butt wiper. It was like night and day. But I went with a bigger one so I could get more low-end. For trail riding...And maybe some clutch poppin'!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

lol im gonna guess you do this kinda of stuff alot. im getting ahead of myself now. right now all i need to do is get the entire engine apart clean everything up so its nice and good then remove the Governor and see if it starts. then i will start adding performance parts.

im just having a really hard time finding the torque setting for everything. i have absolutely no mechanical background.

but thanks for offering your help

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Haha, it's a hobby.

I would say that is your best bet. Get it together, and running. Then you can start messing with stuff. It isn't hard to pull the head back off. Nor the carb.

Not sure if you have already thought about this, but you should be careful running it without the Gov'. Running the RPM's above what the engine was set at does put more stress on it, and will wear parts out quicker. And running at WOT for long periods of time can do serious damage without a governor. Just something to keep in mind.

I might catch crap for this, but I wouldn't worry about torque specs. Just tighten everything down good. This ain't no racing engine running 10k. If you do want the manual though I'd first try google for it. You need a service manual. If that doesn't work, maybe Ebay? I would also try to find a local parts dealer for your engine brand. They might be able to order a manual for you. While you are at it you can try directly contacting the manufacture.

Not sure if you already knew but I believe that is a Honda engine? If it is, then any Honda dealer (Non-Car dealers...) should be able to get you a service manual for it.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

yepp its a honda gx200 there is a lot that can be done with this engine.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    I might catch crap for this, but I wouldn't worry about torque specs. Just tighten everything down good.
    Not going to give you any crap, but I am going to say the following: if this is OP's first time at tearing down an engine, I would highly recommend torquing everything to the manual specs, if only for the experience. Nothing at all wrong with doing things like this by the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream