Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The iPad ...better than I expected.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default The iPad ...better than I expected.

Ok I admit it, I was in Best Buy today, and as I passed by the Apple display I decided to stop and try one of the display iPads.

...I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It's actually a very nice device. I know, I know, I hate Apple and all, but...I have to admit, they did well with that thing. I really wanted to hate it, but it just...worked. It didn't get in my way like a lot of other devices tend to. After using it for a little while I can definitely see the power of the A4...I'd like to try a Snapdragon-powered Android phone to see a comparison, but it is definitely snappier than the 600MHz cortex-A8 in my N900 (damn well better be considering it's based on the same tech and has a 1GHz clock -_^ ). The wide bezel used to puzzle me, but when I held it I could see how nice it is; it's just wide enough to comfortably grip it, but not so wide that it gets in the way. The frame is nice and solid, with no flex.

All that highly out-of-character praise aside, there's no way in hell I would buy one. Too expensive for too little use cases (for me), the onscreen keyboard is one of the best onscreen keyboards I've ever used, but...it's still an onscreen keyboard, which means that it inherently sucks, it's a fingerprint magnet, there's no flash, and there's no multitasking. Really Apple, wtf were you thinking? You're wasting that beautiful A4 without multitasking. I could almost feel it straining at the software, wanting to let me do more with it. Oh, and the closed-garden environment...that alone is almost enough for me to say 'never will I buy this thing'. ..not quite enough on its own, but combined with the other faults, yeah...never gonna happen.

Disclaimer: This viewpoint is based on about 5 minutes using the thing, so by no means is this intended to be a fully-informed opinion. I was just surprised at how nice it actually is.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: The iPad ...better than I expected.

Burn the apple worshipping heathen!!

:p

It's actually not that bad of a device, really. It's just missing some important features and is about $200 too expensive. It's also not what the tablet loving market wanted at all. But for a regular person it's more than fine I'd say. It's just that for the same price or less you could get a much better device and thus it's not a good deal unless you've got money to burn. But then, it's still a rather limited device, so... Hmm.

It's just apple I guess. They're bloody fantastic at offering devices that both suck and rock at the same time. It's like I want it and don't want it at the same time. lol annoying.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I agree, if they had an SD option it would be a lot better.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    They're bloody fantastic at offering devices that both suck and rock at the same time.
    Hit it right on the head there. If it were about half the price, weren't locked down so hard, and had some...dearly needed additional hardware (like an SD slot), it would be awesome. As it stands, no.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I think that's what irritates me the most, too. That if not for the flaws it would be awesome. It'd be the perfect Tablet PC. But no, let's take a great starting point like "a giant iPod Touch" and just leave it there.

They should make a "MacBook" edition. Give it all the bells and whistles. Jeez, just make a keyboardless MacBook with a Touch Screen and the App Store. An OS X and iOS combination along with MacBook hardware would be flipping awesome!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I have to admit, they did well with that thing.
    If you worked my job, you would ****ing hate those God awful things. What the **** were they thinking with the mail client on that utter POS? Interoperability is one thing, but to have it set up to interface with every mother****ing 3rd party webmail site in existence is a tad bit much. And unless you are Mac certified, forget about trying to configure it on your own to work with your ISP, you WILL, no wait, WILL be talking to your Tier 1 tech support office, where poor bastards such as myself pull out what little hair we have left because YOU DECIDED YOU NEEDED TO BE PART OF THE ****ING PROBLEM, NOT PART OF THE *** **** SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/end rant.

That said, wait a couple more months, Dell has a droid based tablet coming out that promises to kick the **** out of anything the Chinese or Apple make.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I like loud noises, too! We should all type like this for now on! Our ISP's will be banging on our metamorphical cielings with their metamorphical brooms!

Edit: ****, caps lock. Forget trying that on an iPod. That would take FOREVER. lol

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Ok I admit it, I was in Best Buy today, and as I passed by the Apple display I decided to stop and try one of the display iPads.

...I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It's actually a very nice device. I know, I know, I hate Apple and all, but...I have to admit, they did well with that thing. I really wanted to hate it, but it just...worked. It didn't get in my way like a lot of other devices tend to. After using it for a little while I can definitely see the power of the A4...I'd like to try a Snapdragon-powered Android phone to see a comparison, but it is definitely snappier than the 600MHz cortex-A8 in my N900 (damn well better be considering it's based on the same tech and has a 1GHz clock -_^ ). The wide bezel used to puzzle me, but when I held it I could see how nice it is; it's just wide enough to comfortably grip it, but not so wide that it gets in the way. The frame is nice and solid, with no flex.

All that highly out-of-character praise aside, there's no way in hell I would buy one. Too expensive for too little use cases (for me), the onscreen keyboard is one of the best onscreen keyboards I've ever used, but...it's still an onscreen keyboard, which means that it inherently sucks, it's a fingerprint magnet, there's no flash, and there's no multitasking. Really Apple, wtf were you thinking? You're wasting that beautiful A4 without multitasking. I could almost feel it straining at the software, wanting to let me do more with it. Oh, and the closed-garden environment...that alone is almost enough for me to say 'never will I buy this thing'. ..not quite enough on its own, but combined with the other faults, yeah...never gonna happen.

Disclaimer: This viewpoint is based on about 5 minutes using the thing, so by no means is this intended to be a fully-informed opinion. I was just surprised at how nice it actually is.
    This post is full of win. Why? It starts out in a calm meadow, with a light breeze. Birds chirping in the background, and tree branches rustling in the distance. As you're relaxing to the calm, you notice a cloud in the distance. The cloud starts churning, spinning in a circular motion. Trees begin flying through the air, and birds are running for their lives. Next thing you know, the breeze turns into a sharp howl of wind as you are flung through the air. Landing on a sharp pointy stick, you realize that you just heard someone go from praise to down right hatred in the course of 45 seconds of reading.

Fan(effing)tastic!

Hahaha. Yeah, pretty much. That's the problem with it...it's really a pleasure to use, but then you start thinking "Hey, if they had done [x] it would be awesome.", and it just gets incredibly frustrating. I've been having that frustration with Apple's hardware a lot recently, like, "Yes, it's good, but if you had just paid a little more attention to your user base and weren't so %$&@ arrogant, you could have had a truly great product that's actually worth the price you're charging for it."

Oh, and Zephik, check out the Axiotron modbook. It's basically what you described without the tablet software that Apple made for the iPad.
    --Benjamin Franklin

What's interesting is that the one on display at Best Buy actually worked for you. The last time I was in a Best Buy the thing was locked up and some poor employee was trying to make it work.