Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD-WRT Router

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default DD-WRT Router

I don't have much time here, but can someone find me a router that DD-WRT supports? Under $50 if you please. My old one died about a week ago or so. I was hoping for a more up to date one if possible. The more antennas the better. :p Thanks!!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: DD-WRT Router

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    The more antennas the better.
    What exactly do you mean here? Are you looking for a specific functionality or feature or just lots of bits of plastic sticking off the back?

It looks like this one should work. It's the cheapest wireless router on Newegg that I would buy (ie, not Zonet, TP-link (?wtf or they?), or Trendnet), and according to the DD-WRT database some version of it at least is compatible. You might want to check that in more detail before buying it though. I know my router I ended up having to take back and swap for an older model because the new version isn't supported.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320033
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Looks like the Buffalo WHR-HP-GN is a pretty solid choice for DD-WRT. Just over 40 bucks with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-034-_-Product

From the website it may already be loaded with DD-WRT!

Quote Originally Posted by dd-wrt.com
    Wed, 03/10/2010 - 14:05 — admin

BUFFALO has decided to use DD-WRT as the factory default for its HighPower Routers WZR-HP-G300NH, WHR-HP-G300N and WHR-HP-GN distributed in the US and the EU and should be available in june 2010. The firmware is a full featured DD-WRT with a BUFFALO branded interface and contains some BUFFALO specific features.

Right now the normal DD-WRT firmware binaries for the devices are available through the router database. In contrast to other BUFFALO firmwares these binaries can be flashed via webflash making the process much easier.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/b...ctory-firmware
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 07-12-2010 at 05:42 AM.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

What's wrong with Trendnet?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    What's wrong with Trendnet?
    Probably nothing, but according to the DD-WRT website, only 2 of them support DD-WRT and one of them appears to be discontinued. Also if you look at the comments the one that newegg is shipping, doesn't seem to actually support DD-WRT. Honestly, I have never had good luck with Trendnet. We have used some of their products at the office, and every one of them has some sort of issue. Such as their KVM's .. just all of a sudden, one of the ports just quit working. Same problem on 2 different KVM's. USB hubs just die for no apparent reason. Others may have better experiences, so I guess it just depends on the individual device.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...t%20tew-652BRP

so, im gonna sound like a noob, but whats so special about dd-wrt?
    Not dead yet

nothing with multiple antennas?

routers with multiple antennas seem to handle traffic better (mimo?) and you can configure the settings to dedicate tx and rx, which is handy in certain situations, such as when dealing with different types of 3rd party antennas.

The Buffalo seems pretty nice though. One reviewer said they would start shipping a upgraded firmware model in june, itd be nice if that were true.

dd-wrt basically turns a limited functionality device into a rainbow eating unicorn power house.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    so, im gonna sound like a noob, but whats so special about dd-wrt?
    I was thinking the same thing. I looked it up and it still seems like something that I wouldn't know how to benefit from. Maybe someone could give me some examples of ways?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

over-clocking, adjustable transmitting power, easily changeable wireless modes (AP, Repeater, etc), hot-spot options (get paid to be open), and just all around highly configurable. Its kinda like jail-breaking for routers I guess. it opens up numerous configuring options for any supported router. it turned my old $50 wrt54g into something that would otherwise cost me hundreds.

I can't really browse the web atm, btw. otherwise id look this stuff up myself. so pretty much whatever you guys recommend is what ill be getting. lol