Thread: Is this an intake or an outake fan?

Fresh Paint

Default Is this an intake or an outake fan?

I'm looking at a monster fan for a new build, and I can't quite seem to discern whether it intakes air, or blows it out...

Here is the fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835705057

For my particular build, I would need it to blow air OUT through the grill-side...but generally fans this size are used as intake fans on a side panel, I would presume.

I've googled away and looked at every spec for this fan I can, but can't figure out which way the fan blades spin!

I imagine I could just flip the fan itself, but from the looks of the pictures the grill is made to only screw on from one side. I suppose it could be modded, but it would be great to know ahead of time.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Is this an intake or an outake fan?

From the blade shape, it's an exhaust fan, but you're right when you say it could be modified using extra long screws to be used as an intake....

Every case I've seen with large fans like these, including the Thermatake Element T I reviewed a while back and the V5 I'm reviewing at the moment, as well as the Antec 900 I have lying around as a spare use the large fan as an exhaust by default (although they are 200mm's not 250 like the one you linked to) so you may be mistaken when you say they're usually intakes...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, it would make sense that it exhausts, because the sticker on the fan itself (which generally indicates airflow exhaust direction) faces the grill-side, but I wasn't sure.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking at this image

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/...57-S08?$S640W$

it looks like an intake fan. most big side panel fans like that are intake fans as well

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    looking at this image

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/...57-S08?$S640W$

it looks like an intake fan. most big side panel fans like that are intake fans as well
    *curses*

And the way those screw standoffs are made as part of the plastic grill itself, seems flipping the fan around wouldn't be such a simple exercise.

Yeah, I agree. Sorry - I didn't see the fan when connected to the grille. I was assuming the mounting lugs would be attached to the side panel. That fan definitely blows air in the direction of the corner lugs.

As for flipping it - there's no real reason you couldn't. Sure there'd be a small gap between the fan and the grille but you'd still get the vast majority of air going out of the case. The only potential problem might be if the outer edge of the fan itself in some way holds the grille sections together.
    Last edited by slaveofconvention; 07-03-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Fresh Paint

Meh, no biggie. I could always just hack off the standoffs and drill me some new holes, and thread some screws in that'a way.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    Meh, no biggie. I could always just hack off the standoffs and drill me some new holes, and thread some screws in that'a way.

Thanks guys!
    Thats the spirit lol - hack it off n make it work - modding!!!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Thats the spirit lol - hack it off n make it work - modding!!!
    Especially the hacking. Heavy on the hacking.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”