Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Honda ATC 200S Freshening Up

Default Re: Honda ATC 200S Freshening Up

Went out this evening more then prepared to set the engine in...So I thought. After looking through all of the bolts given to me with the 3-wheeler, it turns out none go with it. Or at least, none hold the engine in... On top of that, these two plates that hold the front of the engine are missing...

So, instead of working, I grabbed a caliper, tape measure, and pen. Using these fancy measuring tools, I figured up with the required length, and size of the bolts for the engine. Simple. When figuring out length, you need to make sure to compensate for the part, mounting tabs, nut, and any washers you are using. More is better then less... Size I figured out by measuring with a caliper in thousandths, then converting to metric. Wasn't hard to figure out what size I needed then.

For my tool guys, I picked up a couple new toys at HF. The Sensor/Injector socket set, and a 3lb Dead Blow.

Really wanted the socket set for sensor sockets.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-...set-99850.html

Heard good things, and the only dead blow I have is a cast steel one... Figured out if you pop these little caps off at the end of the handle, there is a hole through the core. Good for hanging!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-ne...mer-41799.html
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

+100,000,000 to this thread, love 3 wheelers. My neighbor had one when I was a little kid and I have a lot of fun memories up to and including running into his fence and launching myself over it. Good times. Good times.

Strangely enough, 3-wheelers are one of the few things I haven't badly hurt myself on...

I went to the hardware store today, and got some bolts. Young lady behind the counter complimented my hand writing.

Got back to the house, and one of the bolts was too short... Rats... So, I went ahead and tried to get the engine in, but ran into another problem. How in the heck am I going to get the exhaust in around the engine? It is like one of them nail puzzles... The proper way is a clamp right where the exhaust meets the muffler, but that is frozen tight. So, I'm going to have to figure our another way.

On a brighter note, here is a couple new tools. One of the now discontinued Earthquake air ratchets, and a Craftsman Premium 3/8 ratchet. Got the Earthquake was from Ebay, but I was screwed because it should have been a 1/2. I already have two 3/8 Chicago ratchets... The Craftsman I won in a contest. It is the current top of the line, with 84 teeth. I won it from http://toolguyd.com/ . My go-to website when I'm looking for a new power tool, and need reviews.

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Get some tire slime. They have it at Wally world. We had a riding mower that had a slow leak, put some slime in it hasn't gone flat in 2 years.
    Yup

and its going to be the absolute worst day of your life when it comes down to changing that tire.

They sell plug kits at wal-mart for 15$ push twist and pull problem solved.

I would need a lot of plugs for a dry rotted tire!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    I would need a lot of plugs for a dry rotted tire!
    them tires aren't but 60$ a pop if that for some basics.

hell if its the standard 4 square hub that four wheeler use, then golf kart and boat trailer rim/tires ought to work as well.

we used to steal the tires off of the boat trailers and smoke em down to the rim on our quads hahhaha.

(boat)
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...1ZRSeLyZUMn1dC

(golf kart)

(obvious 4 wheeler)

it's the same bolt pattern and size across them all though.

If it's ultimate thrift time, i'd just tube them b@#$tches, But there ain't no tubing it once you run that liquid demon fix-a-flat in it.

I had no plans one way, or another for my three wheelers tire. Replacing it isn't a big deal, and tubes are no problem. I had originally mentioned fixing it simply because the tire was like new, and it was a shame to see all that good tread go to waste. Never was a cost, or ability issue.

Although, you do have me thinking now! After the Fat Cat conversion, I should pick up a slick, and take it to the strip!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

I had no plans one way, or another for my three wheelers tire. Replacing it isn't a big deal, and tubes are no problem. I had originally mentioned fixing it simply because the tire was like new, and it was a shame to see all that good tread go to waste. Never was a cost, or ability issue.

Although, you do have me thinking now! After the Fat Cat conversion, I should pick up a slick, and take it to the strip!
    Oh they make 3 line radial slicks for quads.

And, Have you done the classic 2 wheel dounut on it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    Oh they make 3 line radial slicks for quads.

And, Have you done the classic 2 wheel dounut on it yet?
    Any brands, or keywords? I've found a bunch of nice golf cart tires, and the grass saver "slicks." The only other option I could find was going through Jegs to get a Jr. Dragster slick. At $120, I could do without...

I drifted it around a few turns, but no donuts. Mainly because of a combination of to much traction, and I never got a front brake hooked up. In fact, I barely got the rear working. Made winding out fifth in straightaways fun.

Approaching a turn with it wound up in second, and slamming into third to get the torque spike, and break the rear tires loose is always a blast!

I was messing around this evening looking at beach cruiser bikes, then I got to thinking about building a Bobber-style bicycle. After pondering that for a minute, it hit me. Why not make my three-wheeler into a Bobber while I'm at it? Yeah, if that doesn't give you a peak into the mess that is my mind, nothing will...

So, just a couple of thoughts on a Bobber ATC.

If you are like me, you like the low setting seat Bobbers. If you look at the design of the ATC frame, it is a great frame to do this to because the way the bottom tubes wrap up into the top tube.

I've also have a gas tank that has been hanging in the shop for probably ten years... I sat it on my Uncles ATC, and it is like it was designed for the upper tube of a ATC... I would just have to move the ignition pieces a little.

Another thought is a set of clip-on drag bars. As far as I am concerned, all bikes need drag bars, and the clip on bars sitting lower then the fuel tank screams Bobber.

One more idea is a jockey, or a tank mounted shifter with a push-pull cable setup to reach the splined shifter rod sticking out of the engine.

These features with some cool "Street" tires, and a single-side ridged swing arm setup should be MEAN.

I have a problem...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I have a problem...
    Well, the first step is admitting it. ...the second step, of course, is indulging it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV