Thread: ASRock 775v88+ - No Video

Fresh Paint

Default ASRock 775v88+ - No Video

So I ordered a ASRock 775V88+ from 3btech.net. It is refurbished, but before I rule that it is a faulty motherboard, I want to make sure I've tested everything I could.

Specs are as follows:
    Processor: 3.4ghz/1M/800 p4 - SL7PY
    400 Watt psu
    Seagate 500gb Sata
    4x1GB Kingston DDR 2.6v
    XFX ATI Radeon 4650 1GB DDR2 AGP
    BIOS is at P1.80

I believe that is it. So the problem is, I get it in, plug all of the above in, turn it on, and no video. Fans spin up, hdd spins up, lights come on, but still no video. I tried take things out, putting things in, still nothing. So just to make sure that it wasn't any of my own components, I plugged them all into a motherboard I knew to be working, and it come right up with no problems. I know all signs point to the motherboard, but I really dont feel like sending it back and it not being a problem witht he mobo it self, but something I was doing. What gets me though is this. I was thinking that maybe, for some reason, the bios doesn't like the p4. So I switched it with a celeron d I had lying around, tried it again, and BAM! it came on, with through post, then came to a no keyboard error. So I turned it off, plugged in a USB keyboard, turned it back on, and low and behold, nothing. No video again. I didn't touch anything else but the USB and Processor. I tried switching again, and still nothing. So, anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: a friend of mine just asked me how many mounting posts I have, and I told him that I didn't have any, it is just sitting on the carpet right now. So he told me that a computer he was working on wasn't working, then he read on a forum somewhere that there was a certain mounting post that had to be there in order to provide proper ground for the whole system. could this be my problem?? I dont have any mounting post just yet. But I was just wondering if someone else has had this problem before?
    Last edited by dapallox1; 06-30-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: New update

Default Re: ASRock 775v88+ - No Video

I've never heard of any grounding to the mobo tray or case before, but perhaps some manufacturers do it. That sounds pretty shady though. I've run boards out of cases before with no problems...watch out for static electricity on that carpet...that could potentially kill a board too.

If you have the manual, figure out how to reset the CMOS and do it. It could still have custom settings from the previous owner saved in it. I would like to think that whatever company refurbished it would have thought to reset it, but I tend not to trust companies and their underpaid peons to get it right every time. Generally, this involves taking out the battery and moving a jumper for 15 seconds or so then putting them back. Check the manual though.
    Failing that, try a different power supply with the board and see if that helps. Perhaps the lower powered celeron booted temporarily because it was getting just enough power. Also, check to make sure every power connection is firmly seated in the mobo, near the cpu, and on the gpu if it has them.
    Post any updates.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dapallox1 View Post
    it is just sitting on the carpet right now.
    ... o_o ...O_O ..

...that..would be a bad thing.

Like mDust said, carpets are very staticy things, and computer do not like static. If nothing else, get a piece of cardboard or something and put the MBB on that.

Assuming that's not causing the problem, try the CMOS reset as mDust suggested (ie, pulling the battery, not just using the jumper). If that doesn't fix it, my money is on a bad MBB. One last thing you could check is to run memtest86+ on the RAM in that other system, just to make sure that's not the problem.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

I just got some mounting post and put everyone that I could on the case, plugged everything up slowly, also with a brand new power supply, and still nothing. So before I fill out this return form, is there anything at all, no matter how outrageous it may be, that anyone can think of?

You did reset the CMOS? Was the new PSU identical? If so, try a different brand with a higher capacity. Try different RAM if available.
    Not sure what else you can try, good luck.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

To see if the PSU just isn't putting out enough power, do you have an old, low-power video card you could try? Also, what is the make/model/age of the PSU you're using?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV