Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How cool is EVGA? I'm about to find out.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: How cool is EVGA? I'm about to find out.

It occurs to me that they might send me a 216-core model instead of a 196....in which case, yes mofo, the tieton might be back on the market. We'll just have to wait and see. According to the USPS tracking records, they left a notice for EVGA that a package is waiting for them on Saturday, so hopefully it'll be delivered today.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    It occurs to me that they might send me a 216-core model instead of a 196....in which case, yes mofo, the tieton might be back on the market. We'll just have to wait and see. According to the USPS tracking records, they left a notice for EVGA that a package is waiting for them on Saturday, so hopefully it'll be delivered today.
    IIRC the 216-core is the same as the 196 core. Nvidia changed it (firmware unlock) after the Radeon 4000 series kicked the 196 core 260 in the teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

I just looked into it, and it looks like we're both right. Apparently in their never-ending quest to complicate things, nVidia released two different versions of the 216-core GTX260. One with the 65nm die and one with the 55nm die. The 55nm die chips are the ones that my Tieton won't work with, so I'll have to figure out which one they send me when I get it back.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Good news! I got the replacement card in today and it appears to be a 65nm 216! I can't find anything specifically telling me the die size, but it looks like it might be that and a few Newegg reviews agree with me. P/N 896-P3-1265-AR if anyone wants to try and confirm.

So, new 260 is installed, running on air right now. I'm gonna tear the loop down again probably this weekend, and get the waterblock on it, but at least now I have a dedicated drain port. I'll make sure to support the card properly this time...
    --Benjamin Franklin

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Good deal!! Post a pic of your drain port setup. I am going to be installing the DD loop this weekend and want some ideas for mine.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'll get you a pic of how I set mine up when I had my LC CJ

Here's mine. I have the pump feeding straight into a Bitspower crystal Q-block, that feeds to both the drain port and the CPU (and from there the rest of the loop). I used a Q-block instead of a T-block because that's what I happened to have. Plus, this gives me a nice place to add a temp sensor later if I want to.

EDIT:
    The rest of the loop is kinda a mess right now; I just threw it back together quickly so it would work while I was waiting for the card to get back. ...and yes, I did see those drops of fluid on the bottom of the case. I bent a line a bit too much and some leaked out while I was trying to fit the 260 in with its HS/F. ...that's also why the res is crooked.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for posting that pic. I have an idea on how you could read the data from that sensor you place later on...

Hahaha, hmmm, I wonder what that could be...

Looking at that picture again, I just realized something... I took that picture with the phone on my camera..look at the fan; it must have a pretty slow shutter speed.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Yea, you must have a steady hand.