If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Review: Aluratek Libre Ebook Reader Pro

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=510]Review: Aluratek Libre Ebook Reader Pro[/drupal]

By Charles Gantt ( Oneslowz28 )

Books. Some like them and some don

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Review: Aluratek Libre Ebook Reader Pro

Hmmm, interesting. I hadn't seen this one before. The ePaper display, combined with the low price, small size (5" screen), and decent format support makes it quite appealing.

It should be noted, however, that while the white model is $120, the black model that was reviewed is $170. Quite a difference considering that the only difference I can see is that, well, one is white and the other is black.

What are the dimensions on it? I'm not seeing that info on their website. Also, is there any flex?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Wow. That is one cheap eReader! That's at least $20 cheaper than any other eReader that I've seen. Although it definitely lacks in simplicity of use and in design. But at such a great price, who cares? lol

I think I'll probably end up going with Sony's Touch eReader. It's only $200. Seems like a good feature to price ratio.

It's odd though, I can't find any dimensional information on the Aluratek eReader either. It's not even listed on Amazon.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

They should be the same price. I was informed a few weeks back that there was no price difference in the 2. I will double check with Aluratek and post back ASAP.

Their was no noticeable flex. However I did not purposely try to twist it. I will also get back to you on size I forgot to take measurements.

Thanks. One other thing I thought of since then; when you hold it by the edge, does it feel like the bezel is pushing on the screen at all?

@Zephik: What ebook readers cost $140? The cheapest I've seen other than this one are at least $200, especially ones with ePaper displays.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    @Zephik: What ebook readers cost $140? The cheapest I've seen other than this one are at least $200, especially ones with ePaper displays.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Reader&x=0&y=0

Just a small handful, really. But there they are. I saw one that was called a Boox, it looked pretty cool but it isn't available anymore. Ah well.

On another unrelated note, I also read that the Sony one with the Touchscreen is supposed to be "built like a tank". Plus you can write notes on it wherever you are in the book. Pretty cool I thought. It's not as expensive as the Kindle, but it's not as cheap as the Libre. It's a nice middle ground device with upper class features it seems. /unrelated note
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Hmm, interesting. So it's basically the Sony Pocket Edition and a bunch of clones of the Libre (or whatever the Libre is a clone of, more likely, I suppose). The touchscreen is a tempting feature, but I would be afraid of getting crap all over it, especially since I would want to use it for repair manuals while working on my car/etc. I'd also be worried about the ports getting stuff in it. ...also, I never write notes in books..but hey, to each their own, right? That's why we have so many different products on the market.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Te device felt very solid and well built. I did not notice any part of it that felt like things were too close or pushing on the other.

I should know something by tomorrow on the pricing situation.

Zeph PM me a list of the others and I will see if I can get a few reviews going.

Cool. If I were to get one (tempting), I would want a black one, but not if it's a $50 premium.
    --Benjamin Franklin

You could always paint it black. :p