Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions

Fresh Paint

Default Newbie Questions

Hi I am new to the whole modding world. I have had a little experiance with some old hardware that I have managed to scrounge and now I would like to start to make it look a little better.

To this end I have started to design a case in PTC's Pro Desktop. One concern that I have had is that I want to have some of the pipes for the liquid cooling setup outside the case. One of the problems I have forseen is that I want to have the liquid going to the blocks and to the radiator on the side of the case. But I also want a big pipe on the front that will help show the temperature of the liquid through a change in colour. The only problem I can see with that is the pipe at the front is about 40mm od. So I was wondering if that would have any effect upon the effectivness of the loop if it goes something like this:

resivoir->pump->blocks->big pipe at the front->radiator->resivoir

Will I be able to do this with normal sized pipe in the rest of the loop?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rexhunt; 06-01-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: improving readability

Default Re: Newbie Questions

There shouldn't be any problems with having a large diameter tube in your loop. The flow will slow down in the wider pipe and then have to be constricted again, which causes resistance. Just make sure your pump has 6-10ft or more of head pressure and you're good to go.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Agreed. It will basically just act like a small reservoir. I'm not sure if it would actually be necessary/make a significant difference, but I would put the radiator(s) before the big tube in the loop, for the same reason you put reservoirs after the the radiators (flow and, to a lesser extent, temps). Are you wanting to have RGB LEDs lighting up the transparent tube or the fluid in it or something? Sounds like a great affect.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

I was hoping to get some temperature sensative dye if I could find some. Then maby some plain backlighting.

If I finish some of my assignment soon then I may be able to get the photos I have taken of the partially finished case in PDT and put it on my laptop so I can work on it at school. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have updated some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by rexhunt View Post
    I was hoping to get some temperature sensative dye if I could find some.
    Hmm, I can't say that I would recommend that, though I suppose there might be a dye that I don't know about. Spawn might also drop by and tell you never to use dye. Apparently it's a fairly common occurrence for dyes (even dyes designed for watercooling fluid) to cause clogging in waterblocks.

One other thing to consider is that because of the thermal properties of a watercooling system, you won't really get much action in the way of temperature change. The temperature of the fluid in a WC loop rises from system startup to an equilibrium temperature (different for each loop), and will pretty much stay there forever, or until the computer is turned off for a while again, maybe varying a few C when you're under full load.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Fresh Paint

Ok thanks I will make sure to keep that in mind when I get to that stage.

Unfortunatly the only hardware I can get for the actual computer at this stage will probably be only slightly better than a pIII or if I am feeling reckless a 2.4?.04? with 128mb ram, I am thinking use the pIII or whatever it is (I will have to check that particular machine) and put in a whole heap of sd ram (which I already have a bit of). I am hoping that once we move and we are all settled and I get a job I will be able to upgrade the hardware.

So what would you recommend for the components in the watercooling loop. I am trying to do this for a minimum cost while still being able to overclock and upgrade.

For rads you could use car/motorcycle coolers, car coolers are usually a bit big tho. You could probably save some money that way, probably not a lot tho, and buying rads designed for pc water cooling is a lot easier since motorcycle coolers aren't guaranteed to have fan mounting holes etc . Maybe try to get some stuff second hand?

For prices and parts you can always check frozencpu.com

I wish you luck with your project.

For getting parts cheap, watch our trading post section, and post a thread in there saying what you're looking for. A lot of the people around here sell stuff off occasionally, usually for a good deal off retail. That's also probably the only way you'll probably find a PIII block...though tbh you'll probably end up having to fab a custom mounting bracket for whatever CPU block you get...it's been a while since socket 370 was common....
    --Benjamin Franklin

Fresh Paint

Wth the bike rad. wouldn't they be a bit big? Mounting shouldn't be much problem, I am quite happy to make a mounting plate for the fans or a wid tunnel or similar.

Yeah thats one thing I thought I may have to do...make some blocks myself, does anyone know where I can find some instructions or something?

And later today I should be able to upload the photos at school later today (go the free broadband at state schools in NSW).

Fresh Paint

Ok looks like I cannot get PDT working on my laptop

And I forgot to copy the photos I have taken

So no photos till tomorrow, sorry