Thread: RaidMax Smilodon case ?

Fresh Paint

Question RaidMax Smilodon case ?

I have a RaidMax Smilodon case and I though I really like the case aside from its really noisy fans, I noticed recently that if I put it in standby or hibernate mode that there is no indication that it is actually in Standby mode.

I have another PC where it blinks the power light when it is in Standby mode (though I believe that what I am calling Standby is actually hibernate though not sure why Standby is acting more like hibernate).

I would have thought that the lights around the door of the Smilodon case would blink, but they don't. So, I was wondering if there was a way for me to add a LED to my case to give that indication. I would imagine that I would have to split off from the wires going to the power switch to power the LED, but I thought I would ask just to be sure. I have never done any mods to a case before other than to install fans.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: RaidMax Smilodon case ?

Well, first, welcome to TBCS! I hope you enjoy it here.

As for the problem you're having, unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a bit more complicated than you're thinking.

First, to pinpoint what you're looking for:
    hibernation == completely off but machine state saved in memory
    standby == low-power state, comes back on when you hit the mouse/keyboard/etc

The blinking light behavior you're talking about is generally controlled by the MBB, sending different signals to the power LED depending on what power state the computer is in. If you're looking to get the blinky on hibernate, then you're gonna have a problem since the computer is actually powered off, and the MBB has no way of knowing that you're in 'hibernate'. Standby, however, is feasible, but if your MBB isn't already putting out that signal to your power LED, you're gonna have to fab something yourself.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Well, first, welcome to TBCS! I hope you enjoy it here.

As for the problem you're having, unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a bit more complicated than you're thinking.

First, to pinpoint what you're looking for:
    hibernation == completely off but machine state saved in memory
    standby == low-power state, comes back on when you hit the mouse/keyboard/etc

The blinking light behavior you're talking about is generally controlled by the MBB, sending different signals to the power LED depending on what power state the computer is in. If you're looking to get the blinky on hibernate, then you're gonna have a problem since the computer is actually powered off, and the MBB has no way of knowing that you're in 'hibernate'. Standby, however, is feasible, but if your MBB isn't already putting out that signal to your power LED, you're gonna have to fab something yourself.
    I kind of thought it might be a bit more complicated than I originally thought. It sounds like I have problems with my power modes then. On my XP(RaidMax case) I select standby and it seems to save to the hard drive and then shuts off which I believe is actually in hibernate mode. I am not sure if the case actually has a power LED other than the case lights around the door which is just several LED strips I think, but the power button itself does not seem to have an LED associated with it.

My other PC(Windows 7) I put into a Hybrid Sleep mode and it seems to also save to the hard drive before shutting down, but it blinks the power LED (This case is simplier and has a power LED). I think this might actually be correct as it is a Hybrid mode of Sleep and Hibernate.

I was actually more concerned with getting my RaidMax case to give me some indication it was in Standby, but if as I suspect, it is in Hibernate actually, then that might not be possible. I did not realize that when in Hibernate mode, it would give no indication as to its state. I will probably just have to live it or play around with the Power Options to see if I can get it to actually go into Standby.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Z.K. View Post
    I kind of thought it might be a bit more complicated than I originally thought. It sounds like I have problems with my power modes then. On my XP(RaidMax case) I select standby and it seems to save to the hard drive and then shuts off which I believe is actually in hibernate mode. I am not sure if the case actually has a power LED other than the case lights around the door which is just several LED strips I think, but the power button itself does not seem to have an LED associated with it.

My other PC(Windows 7) I put into a Hybrid Sleep mode and it seems to also save to the hard drive before shutting down, but it blinks the power LED (This case is simplier and has a power LED). I think this might actually be correct as it is a Hybrid mode of Sleep and Hibernate.

I was actually more concerned with getting my RaidMax case to give me some indication it was in Standby, but if as I suspect, it is in Hibernate actually, then that might not be possible. I did not realize that when in Hibernate mode, it would give no indication as to its state. I will probably just have to live it or play around with the Power Options to see if I can get it to actually go into Standby.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Well, apparently the StandBy and Hibernate modes are working okay. I did discover why I have no indication when I am in StandBy. The Power LEDs on the Front of my case are powered directly from one of the molex connectors from the power supply which is turned off during StandBy mode I believe. I do have a power LED connector on my motherboard, but it is not used. I discovered this by downloading the manual for my Smilodon Case. If I want an indication in StandBy I would have to install another LED on my case for this and I have not decided if I really want to do this just yet. Anyway, at least I know what is going on now.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Is the strip around the door LEDs or CCFLs? If they're LEDs you might be able to tap them into the power LED header instead. It depends on how much current the header puts out.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV