Thread: Cooling Conundrum (or Quandary, or Confusion LOL)

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Cooling Conundrum (or Quandary, or Confusion LOL)

I'd like feedback/thoughts before I go and spend money on something that might not work. Currently my AMD Phenom II quad core CPU/Nvidia GTX285 GPU idle at 40C/45C respectively; under load they're 50-55C/60-65C respectively. On a hot day it's worse.

If you recall my sandcrawler mod (the 6 slim fans instead of 3 standard thickness is purely out of necessity - with those rad res's sitting on top there's not enough vertical space to put 3 normal fans):

-----

I'm thinking about getting one of those XSPC acrylic reservoir tops for my Liang DDC pump, which would enable to me to make some changes (can't see the pump in the photo but it's to the right of the PSU fan). This would leave space for 2 normal thickness fans on top of the rad (there still wouldn't be space at the front so the current slim fans would stay there):

The way I see it, pros of this are:
    - I'd have more fans blowing air in than out, so there would be slightly positive air pressure rather than right now, which is probly slightly negative
    - one less reservoir = less coolant/tubing = less weight
    - 2 normal thickness fans I think are better for this rad than the 4 slim ones they'd replace.

Cons:
    - less coolant = less cooling capacity, but I think it more likely it'd hit its stable temp sooner than it does now. And better airflow could negate the lower cooling capacity.

- blowing warm radiator air directly onto the computer? not sure that's my best idea. on the flip side, the air would be moving, so it wouldn't just sit there and heat up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Cooling Conundrum (or Quandary, or Confusion LOL)

just keep in mind that heat naturally rises

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sounds like a good plan but I would make one change. Reverse the direction of all the fans so it pulls in the front/back/sides, pulls the fresh air through the computer, through the rad, and out the top.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    just keep in mind that heat naturally rises
    Yeah, that's why I've got it arranged the way I do ATM

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Sounds like a good plan but I would make one change. Reverse the direction of all the fans so it pulls in the front/back/sides, pulls the fresh air through the computer, through the rad, and out the top.
    My only concern with this - fans essentially create airflow on one side and a bit of a vacuum on the other, so I've always thought the best cooling is achieved by placing the cooled items on the positive air pressure side of the fan rather than the negative. Or does it not make much of a difference?

I really appreciate the feedback!!

Also, I neglected to point out that if I do this, the reservoir will no longer be at the high point of the loop (nor would there be a way to make it the high point). I'd probably have to do a fillport between the nozzles of the rad, which is the high point of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    What he said. Just be sure to get some good fans. high static pressure fans may be a little more expensive, but they work wonders fro a water loop.
    Not dead yet

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

awesome, thanks for the link. Quietness would DEFINITELY be nice (not that it's super loud right now, it isn't, but it could be quieter...)

i'm a bit late to the party but i less coolant does not equal less cooling capacity. you are right that you will hit your equilibrium point sooner, but that won't be an issue when you have bigger/faster/higher pressure fans.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v