Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Tips for working with plexi/acrylic

Default Re: Tips for working with plexi/acrylic

about the hacksaw, i dont know, but, a jigsaw isnt the best way to go, a finer blade will melt the plexi, and a slower speed will shake it. i would know this because i cut plexiglass frequently. as far as gluing though, i agree, but dont use a glue gun or other stuff like that, but i use gorilla glue, and that seems to be mighty stable

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis View Post
    That is not true intergalactic man. Acrylic is cut well with a hacksaw using a metal blade. I don't know what happened to you, but generally hacksaw are decent for cutting intricate designs.

Also, you can only use the score and snap method for acrylic 1/8" and thinner.

Also, using the proper blade with the acrylic correctly set up for cutting, a jigsaw will not break it as long as you take the necessary precautions. Also, acrylic will not melt if the jig saw is at the right speed. Any faster with the wrong blade would hook the acrylic, shake it, and snap it (probably what you did).
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Fresh Paint

Another method of cutting is Laser Cutting. It is extremely accurate and gives a good finish. It also takes much less time.
    My workplace has a cutter which can fit up to 1100 x 1100 (mm) sheets. This is large enough to cut most things that I need to. You can get larger ones although obviously the price increases with size. The cheapest decent one that I've seen is around £14000 (I believe that is about $27000).
    You can plug your computer into them and they'll cut whatever you design with a beam of light. I wouldn't expect many people to want to spend that much money themselves, but it may be possible to persuade your work/school to make the investment for you

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

I am currently building a CNC machine - it will be a CNC router. Eventually, I will use to it to cut out a new CNC machine for myself: this one will use a laser, probably CO2.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

So your making a CNC machine so it can make you a CNC machine? ...my god... thats brilliant!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    So your making a CNC machine so it can make you a CNC machine? ...my god... thats brilliant!
    Hehe... yup. As soon as my machine is done, it will be used to cut and drill higher precision parts that will be used to replace the hand made ones in the machine. Eventually, I plan on building a CO2 laser and then making a second machine that uses a laser to cut patterns in metal.
    Typo:

duno if anyone already posted this but heres somin for gluing plexi together
    http://guides.pcapex.com/modding/diy_acrylic_cement.php

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Man, a laser cutter sounds great. All I need to do now is sell my house. I might need to run that one by the wife.

Hehe. Just build you own. My router is costing less than $400 to build, everything included. Add a laser to that and its still probably less than $1200.
    Typo:

Ok, so from reading the information in this thread, I can pretty much cut acryllic to my hearts content just like the pros...

But what about painting? Specifically I had a mod idea that went something like this:

Sparing lots of details, I want a plexiglass side window that is transparent, but not so much that you can actually see the PC parts inside. Thats easy enough and could be acheived by using the methods to make a 'frosted' look.

Heres the kicker, I want it to look something like an early night sky, that is, I want a light blue that fades to almost black towards the top. (the idea being to kit-bash a model of a moon and mod it into the upper part of the plexiglass, and wanting perhaps to set a smattering of white LEDs for stars).

How to do this? I was thinking of sandpapering the plexi, to give it the frosted look, then attempting to spraypaint this side (it should stick since its roughed up?). I've heard there are some 'transparent' paints, dont know as im not really an artist.

That would be a bit tricky to do, but achievable. Yes, you would have to "rough it up" a bit before you sprayed it. They do indeed make transparent paints, but I have only seen them for airbrushes, never in spray paint form (that doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen them!).

Some transparent paints:
    http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~paren...oryID~5484.htm
    http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~ocID~...oryID~5477.htm
    Typo: