Thread: painting help

Default painting help

im new to this forum. just made my acc so i can post this question.

im
    working on modding a armour + case to fit a 360 mm rad at the botom. but that is not what i need help with.

i need too know ho the hell i can paint the mouting bracket for the swiftech apogee xt. i sanded with 120 grit sand paper but the primer wont stick. ive applied 6 layer of paint. i let each layer dry of course. the paint jsut wipes off and leaves nothing there its like it was never even on there.

now off topic a bit but do i need to sand the entire case before priming or can i prime over the silver and just paint.

and last question any idea on how to pain a rad easily well strip the paint easily then paint it. pump to.

i have been searching google and every forum i can possibly find but just like there are barely any mods for my case. apprently for what i want to do is even rarer. so please so help would be apprciated.

thank you all for the help

ps this is my first mod so go easy.

Default Re: painting help

What kind of paint are you using? No need to strip and prime existing paint, just scuff it with 400 and shoot the next color. Can you take a picture of the bracket?

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

It'd be helpful if you let us know what material you're trying to paint too. Some materials need a specific primer to work properly. You can get plastic primer which goes on instead or/as well as but before the normal primer. Similarly if it's bare metal, you'll need some kind of etch primer - again some of them are designed to be a standalone etch primer AND regular primer, some of them are simply a way to make a regular primer stick so need to be applied one at a time.

As SgtM said, you don't need to strip the existing paint - but is it definitely paint - powercoat is often used in cases and it can be a little harder to paint over.

Final thought - use a tack cloth or something similar to make sure any surface you're applying any kind of paint to is totally clean and free of dust, etch, primer, paint, clear, doesnt matter, it still needs a very clean surface for a top-notch finish

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

ok guys i cant take a pic becuase im not sure how to upload it to the forum. but it is the mounting bracket on the swiftech apogee xt. i sanded it down and it seem like there is cooper or something under it im not sure maybe metallic. i am using rustoleum automotive paint primer the stuff you can wet sand

ps you guys said to use 400 grit sand paper but wont it leave deep scratches and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

400 will leave scratches, but shallow ones which will easily be filled by the primer - it's only if you start playing with stuff as coarse as 80-180 that you're likely to come across any marks with serious depth. Technically, every grit leaves scratches, right up to 2000 and beyond - the thing is, the finer the paper, the shallower the scratch, to the point where it becomes invisible to the naked eye.

Long story short, no, 400 is fine for keying and between coats of paint/primer etc

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

ok i sanded it a 120 grit dremel and what i thought was cooper wastn its bare metal now but the primer still wont stay on its looks all cracked and messed up now. it just peels off now

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Sign up for photobucket. Host the photos there, link them in your post. Try a grease
    and wax remover. No need to buy anything special. Use dish soap to clean the part with before spraying. A tack cloth is a good idea for making sure there isn't any dust that can contaminate things. Mo need to worry about deep scratches with 400
    look at the bike I did in the misc projects section. It was prepped with 400.

EDIT
    Here's the link to the bike I painted.

thanks it all worked out great when im done with the whole project ill post some pics

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.