Thread: Tips on painting a polka dot pattern

Default Tips on painting a polka dot pattern

Hey guys.

I am about to start ordering things for a new modded case for my girlfriend, and I have a few questions about the paint job I want. I am most likely going to order a Lian Li a05n, and do a custom paint job on it. The outside of the case I want to sort of replicate the style in the following picture (bear in mind, this is for my girlfriend, its the sort of stuff she likes)

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=12576836

Now, I have a powdercoater near me who can do the whole outside of the case in the green I want for a good price. But what would be the best way to add the polka dots? The finish isn't a HUGE deal, I don't need the dots to be mirror smooth, or as good quality as the powder coating. Any tips? Is powdercoating and then putting dots on a good idea? How would you do it.

Consider that this is my first paint job and also that I can't go nuts with money. My budget isn't that low, but I mean I can't afford to go buying airbrush guns or ovens or something

Thanks in advance guys!

Default Re: Tips on painting a polka dot pattern

Stencil it. Go to a sign shop after it's powdercoated and have them cut you a vinyl stencil with the dot pattern you want. Lay it down, weed out the dots, spray it, and then peel
    off the mask. Personally, I would use my airbrush or a touch up gun, but a rattlecan will work just the same. Feel free to contact me if you need other paint help.

Oh yeah, spray very light, even coats. Go for full coverage after 3-4 coats.

Ah thanks for the quick response

Is there any way I could make a DIY stencil, or any guides you could point me to about it? I'll have a look round for some sign shops and start making some calls.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

You won't get the accuracy if you do it yourself. With such a simplistic design, it should be pretty cheap to have it made the way SgtM suggested. I was about to suggest exactly the same thing when I read his post... The only thing I'd add would be, after the stencil is in place and you've picked out the dots, VERY gently sand the dots with something like 400-600 grit sandpaper - it'll give the white paint something to grip onto.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Slave is right. Trying to cut circles with any accuracy is a total pain. Even curves can be frustrating. The other way you could do it is reverse masking. If you want white dots and a green back, have the case powdercoated white, get some circle stickers and then place them in your dot pattern, and then spray green. Get a couple of spray cans and do a test piece before the actual project. See which process works better for you.

stickers then some clear coat.

or, pending the cost, a pizza pan with holes in it.

CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

That pizza pan might work, but I would be concerned about over/underspray.

Or you could just go the sign shop route , just instead of using it as a template for painting have them leave apply the dots and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Keep the pizza pan for use as mesh - it won't work as a template unless it, and the surface you're painting are both utterly flat - you will get blurry edges on the circles from the under/overspray SgtM mentioned

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey