Thread: no more ssd for me

Default no more ssd for me

so i cant go with an SSD because of the $, so im going to go with 2 160gb hdds in a raid 0 with a spinpoint 1tb for storage, what are the 2 best drives for ~$40-50 that i could use for the raid? i was going to go with seagate.12s but they aparantly dont play well with raids... help again guys!
    Not dead yet

Default Re: no more ssd for me

Trust me on this:

You want an SSD.
    You need an SSD.
    You must have an SSD.
    You will save up for an SSD!

I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

There is this:

OCZ Vertex 60GB

With $20 mail-in-rebate

$130 after rebate
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PauL View Post
    There is this:

OCZ Vertex 60GB

With $20 mail-in-rebate

$130 after rebate
    Thats a good deal. It's also better than a cheap RAID setup, albiet a bit more expensive. But the benefits are worth the exta time it takes to save up money, imho.

For example, instead of around a maximum of 140 MB/s with a cheap RAID setup, you'll get a maximum of around 230 MB/s with the single SSD.

Further benefits: In that type of RAID array, if one drive fails, it all goes down. Whereas with the SSD, well, they really don't fail. They're just about fail proof thanks to having no moving parts. They're very durable.

SSD's are definitely worth it. As for the limitations in capacity... Do you need more than 60GB for OS and programs? Or at least within the next however long until you have more money to upgrade or purchase a second drive?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

then you can just buy another one later on and raid the 2 SSD's. It will probably be down to 100 in a few months.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

lol... okokok! ill get the SSD... thats way cheaper than the one i was looking at... like... $100 less.... good find! i can bring that back to my build now... +rep for paul... i thought i had seen the good deals on eggy. lol

edit: ooh the irony, i priced out this same SSD, but at the full retail price! mwahaha, i feel better now
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by PauL View Post
    There is this:

OCZ Vertex 60GB

With $20 mail-in-rebate

$130 after rebate
    That $20 rebate is better than the $10 they had linked to it when it was shell shocker. Hmm. which one to use when that drive arrives...
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    That $20 rebate is better than the $10 they had linked to it when it was shell shocker. Hmm. which one to use when that drive arrives...
    Unless you purchased the drive on the 7th (friday), the $20 rebate is dead, however, the $10 rebate should still apply.
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F