Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I fixed my laptop with a blow/hair dryer !

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default I fixed my laptop with a blow/hair dryer !

Well today I finally decided to look at my laptop which died on me a few months ago. It is a HP DV6305 and I had this issue where the laptop would boot up with nothing on the screen , all the lights turned on and the fan. I had it looked at by a computer repair shop and they said my motherboard was dead so I left it in a closet up until today. I browsed the internet and found a strange solution but tried it anyway. It involved heating up the video card area as my laptop series has an issue where the vga cooler doesn't make contact with the video card. 5 minutes later pc booted 400.00 repair for 0.00
    - Computer-Geek

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: I fixed my laptop with a blow/hair dryer !

That is positively awesome. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

It sure is lol
    - Computer-Geek

AWESOME. I now have 4 - DV9000 laptops with this exact failure. If I can fix one of them (or all...awesome), I'm gonna be sooooo happy.

Refurb + flip! YAY!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sounds like the bake the 8800 method to fix desktop gfx cards. Come on nVidia, make a card worth buying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Testing on a DV9000 now...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Good luck don't allow the heat to be there for too long there is also another fix just incase it doesn't work.

Edit : Well it appears that my fix did not last long I have a feeling I may have to open up laptop and customize vga cooler like this guy did since I assume its overheating due to bad contact. This is what happened about 10 minutes ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fR_teYRw0I

I am now 100 percent sure its overheating since it booted back up after letting it sit for a little.
    Last edited by Computer-Geek; 05-03-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added more to post
    - Computer-Geek

it sounds like ur dealing with the same issue the 360s bring forth...
    using a hair dryer will get ya sorta there... but there is only 2 things that would really help... a good reflow using a heatgun/BGA rework station... or a reballing... seeing as many things have been ruined by lead free solder nowadays... im sure gettin reballed with proper solder would help this issue... altho somehow improving the cooling is a good idea aswell.. just lackin in space lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

I don't see how lead free solder is the issue, my entire computer is RoHS and it doesn't have an issue ;P
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

your entire computer prolly has a much better cooling solution aswell crenn... meaning things in there prolly dont hit 80 celcius and upwards (idle that is)... which causes PCBs to flex... which makes the GPU lift from the board... the problem with lead free solder is it isnt even remotely as flexible... so when the gpu lifts it causes stress fractures... ergo... 3 RLOD... and gpus needing to be reflowed... altho as i mentioned.. reflowing is only half the solution... actually.. if i remember correctly.. this same problem happened to the 8800 gpus quite a bit... ppl fixed their video cards by throwin them into the oven for a cheap reflow..
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.