Thread: Is this the ssd 4 me?

Default Is this the ssd 4 me?

for my next rig i want to put in a pair of matching 30gb ssds in a raid0 config instead of 1 60gb ssd. Not knowing a ton, and trying to stick to 200-240 for both drives would this be the horse to back? also, im willing to go for higher /different configs, so long as the 2 drives add up to at least 60gb. these are my intended victims.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227393
    also, do these drives have trim support, and what kind of stuff do i have to do to prepare them. Im willing to muck around, i just dont know what i have to do. Thanks!
    Not dead yet

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: Is this the ssd 4 me?

I'm *pretty* sure those will support TRIM. Being an OCZ Vertex owner myself (120GB), I would HIGHLY recommend going to their forum and doing some poking around. It's been a year since I got my drive, so I don't remember all the details of setting it up, but I got all info I needed from folks on their forum.
    You'll be happy with those drives though, I can almost guarantee that
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

As long as you upgrade them to the (iirc) 1.4.1 firmware, then yes, they do have TRIM support. Whether your RAID devices has TRIM support, however, I cannot say. Also, for that pricepoint, I think the Vertex series is still about the best bang for your buck you can get. If you can afford the extra cost, I would recommend going up to the Vertex Turbo. It's on a good sale right now, for $130 plus a $20 MIR (normally $190). It has a pretty nice edge on the normal Vertex in both read, write, and sustained write speeds.
    Vertex:Vertex Turbo (all in MBps)
    Read - 230:240
    Write - 135:145
    Sustained Write - 80:100
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

What's trim?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    for my next rig i want to put in a pair of matching 30gb ssds in a raid0 config instead of 1 60gb ssd. Not knowing a ton, and trying to stick to 200-240 for both drives would this be the horse to back? also, im willing to go for higher /different configs, so long as the 2 drives add up to at least 60gb. these are my intended victims.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227393
    also, do these drives have trim support, and what kind of stuff do i have to do to prepare them. Im willing to muck around, i just dont know what i have to do. Thanks!
    Those do support TRIM...but I don't know of any RAID cards that support TRIM. So if a SSD is a RAID member disk, it won't support TRIM.
    Here is a guide to setting up and tweaking any Vertex on OCZ forums.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

blast... hmm... if i cant use trim with a raid 0 i might as well just get a faster 60gb... hmmm
    heres the winner... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227469
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    blast... hmm... if i cant use trim with a raid 0 i might as well just get a faster 60gb... hmmm
    heres the winner... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227469
    Yeah, that was basically my conclusion when I found out about TRIM not passing through RAID chips. I was very disappointed. This doesn't make SSDs in RAID0 not work...but the performance will noticeably decrease with time. I'm way too lazy to keep formatting and reinstalling everything to keep the performance up. I'll just use one SSD until I can use TRIM on a RAID array...then, WATCH OUT WORLD!!!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

yeah, I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I expect that SSDs will need to catch on a bit more, especially in the server market, before chipmakers have financial incentive to start producing RAID cards that support TRIM. I'm not real knowledgeable about how RAID controllers work, so it could happen sooner if all they need is something along the lines of a firmware update. But my guess would be if we haven't seen RAID yet that supports TRIM, it's not a quick download-and-update solution.
    Still. My Vertex from a year ago is wicked fast no complaints here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)