Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water cooling temps question

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: water cooling temps question

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    hmmm.... just a thought... but with the configuration you have would it be possible to mount the some more slim fans on the underside of the rad to make a push pull? that might drop your temps quite a bit...
    yeah I'd been thinking that too. right now they're all under the rad, in fact 2 of them clamp the rad to the stand it's on. I could put at least one more slim fan on top, under the DD logo grille, although I'm not sure if adding 2 under the res's would bump them up too high. It might work...I'll measure when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post

Good to know too about the coolant. I'll be prepared if it's cloggy, but hopefully will duplicate X88X's experience and not have any issues. I do rather like the black look of it...hmm...does food coloring in water cause any issues (presuming there's a silver loop or biocide in there)? Or are there specific dyes one can buy to dye one's water coolant? And thanks for the tips on the fittings - DD's site doesn't say what they're made of, but since there are issues mixing copper and aluminum parts, you're right, there's no way they'd make 'em out of aluminum and not say anything.
    basically stay away from all dye's and the like. it's best to go with coloured tubing instead. primochill and feser make some good coloured tubing.

food colouring is likely to clog up to with all the extra stuff in it and the large amount you would need, pending on colour of course.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    basically stay away from all dye's and the like. it's best to go with coloured tubing instead. primochill and feser make some good coloured tubing.

food colouring is likely to clog up to with all the extra stuff in it and the large amount you would need, pending on colour of course.
    Figured as much

Anyone have any idea if sandwiching the rad between fans will improve airflow? I know there's all sorts of contentious debate as to whether stacking fans works effectively, but everything I've seen deals with putting two fans together or at the ends of a short tube. One of the issues apparently is air coming off fan 1's blades at an angle, and causing noise/turbulence going into fan 2 that decreases its ability to move air.

But...what if there's a nice thick blackice gtx360 radiator in between? and the fans rotate in the same direction at the same speed? I want to be able to get 3 more slim fans, as I can't use the thick ones (not enough space and absolutely nothing I can do about it). the 3 I have are rated at 38cfm. I just don't want to spend another $35 on fans from performance-pcs if it's not going to work very well.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    Anyone have any idea if sandwiching the rad between fans will improve airflow?
    Very much yes! It's commonly referred to as a 'push-pull' configuration..which reminds me, I need to order 6 more fans for my loop.. The issue with spacing for stacking fans normally is the turbulence, and that is thrown out the window by the radiator fins.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

sweet! ordered 3 more. I sure hope they fit...I know I can fit at least one of them on top of the rad. Not positive on the other 2 though, but what the hey I'll figure out somewhere to use 'em.

CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v