Thread: Newbie with dumb questions

Fresh Paint

Default Newbie with dumb questions

So I have never built a PC from scratch and I will undoubtably use all the wrong lingo in this forum, however, I have replaced every single part of my PC besides the motherboard and feel confident that I can build one from scratch.

Here's the rub...

I want to build my new computer into the frame of an acoustic bass guitar.

My questions are thus:

1) Is there danger in building a computer case made of wood? Understand that I suspect there will be room for an additional fan/heatsink and there is a gaping hole in the middle of all guitar frames to allow for either great air flow, or a great spot to place a diagnostic panel (I don't know what you call this, but I have seen cases with panels showing tempurature, and other neat and probably useless information on circular panels). It would also be hung on a wall or set on a stand (as guitars are often displayed) so there will be plenty of air flow around the case.

2) Do dual processor motherboards require special CPUs? Could I potentially use two pentium 3s to build a badass PC with such a motherboard?

3) Can the required metal framework to which all internal components would be attached be secured to the inside of a case using glue rather than putting holes throughout the case to screw them in place and if so, what kind of glue might be recommended?

4) This is one of the dumber questions, I admit, but a potential problem nonetheless; Can anyone suggest ways to 1. cut the back panel from a guitar and 2. hinge it to the case with a clasp that would allow for easy access to the interior?

5) The most newbie question of the day: Assuming that you can use two pentium 3s in a dual processor motherboard (which perhaps I should not assume), how do you remove a cpu from one motherboard and install it in another?

6) Can anyone recommend a good book or site that can show you how to mod a computer case (specifically, how to buy, install, and connect usb ports, power and reset buttons, etcetera)?

I apologize for my ignorance and truly appreciate any input at all that you would be willing to share.

Kind regards,

- Patrick

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Newbie with dumb questions

1) Wood is fine for building a case and has been done on many occasions

2) Yes, they require special processors. Opterons are pretty good from what I'm told.

3)If you do use adhesives to attach the metal to the wood, you better contact someone who knows about that. I would still use a few screws just to make sure.

4) I would hinge it from the inside somehow, makes for a cleaner setup. Most guitars can be torn down as needed. You should ask the guys at the local shops about it, I'm sure that they could tell you what to do.

5) Google a tutorial on the removal of a processor.

6) Paul's (Crimson Sky) book is a very good read and can be found on Amazon.com although the exact name escapes me right now. A very good read form what I've heard. I'm going to be ordering it within the next two weeks or so.

Remeber that we were all new to this once and if you keep your head on your shoulders and don't act the fool, you'll do fine and find nothing but help wherever you turn, this is not only ture in case modding, but in life as well.

Talking Re: Newbie with dumb questions

...lol well put anyways, i would suggest for the glueing metal frame part...i am gonna assume that you are gonna fab. your own metal frame to try and fit in a bass guitar...if you do, make sure the the mobo fits first, it's not to wide. Secondly, make sure ther you have enough room in the guitar as well, being a fellow bassist i'm not sure...depends on how much you wanna put in as well. And thirdly, how are you gonna put the opticals and such in??? I assume that the I/O connections are at the back, you'll have to plan that in accordance with the hinge setup.

Anyways those are just a couple things you whould look out for. I hope to see you post this up in the worklogs section...this sounds kool I would fancy a pair of opterons...but I hop you know what you are talking about with the dual proccessor...like do you mean 'dual processor' or do you mean 'dual core proccessor'...either way they are gonna be a good setup.

GL and have fun.

Jer