Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: paint job: Hazard

Default Re: paint job: Hazard

Wow this is really cool. The old beige box can be cool after all!

I love the paint color scheme.

Paint can be a real pain. I have a real paint booth but even I get specs of dirt once in a while so don't feel bad. It happens. That's why you always wet sand then buff. These guys were right about clear coating it too. It helps hide dirt and once wet sanded will look amazing.

Keep up the good work.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Couch3ater View Post
    Hahaha, the same can be said for any kind of paint. Rushing is a bad thing. Modding is just like life; patience is a virtue. That being said, when things like orders from online show up on my door step, I'm less than patient to tear everything apart. =D
    Yeah, I'm getting a hard drive today, can't wait to tear the box apart
    The main reason I'm so impatient (or why I tend to rush things with this paint) is because the drying time is soooo long (16 hours) Once you spray you can pretty much see your mess-ups right away, but you'll have to wait until the paint is dry to fix it. In my case I can't fix it until the next day, which is a real pain...

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    Wow this is really cool. The old beige box can be cool after all!

I love the paint color scheme.

Paint can be a real pain. I have a real paint booth but even I get specs of dirt once in a while so don't feel bad. It happens. That's why you always wet sand then buff. These guys were right about clear coating it too. It helps hide dirt and once wet sanded will look amazing.

Keep up the good work.
    Thnx for the kind words! I'll have to look up some buffing-tutorial somewhere around here, but I'll do that (maybe) after I've finished all the panels.

Now on to an UPDATE

I have finally managed to (kind of) finish this panel properly. I'm sorry it took about two or three weeks longer than promised/expected, but that's because this panel just didn't want to be painted... or maybe it is haunted, I don't know.

The story
    Anyway, I started of with the yellow (3 layers), then sprayed the top black (3 layers) then the stripy-things (2 or 3 layers, can't remember exactly) but then the problems started...

In my haste I had not masked the striped correctly and I needed just a BIT more of black, but I rushed, didn't mask all the other parts and some black paint dust settled on the nice yellow paint So I had to touch that up, but the yellow doesn't cover all that well so I had to lay down a couple of new layers.

Finally I lost patience and thought: I'll just go with this and put some clear on it. but then I was too eager to finish and sprayed too much clear at one time so a big droplet of clear dropped on the black part. On the yellow I had also found another spot to touch up again.

I first let the clear dry (only 2 hours of drying time on this coat! yay!), then looked at the droplet of clear and it ate through ALL layers of my paint! I could see the white/beige right on.. So I started sanding around this droplet-spot (and on the yellow) and tried to touch it up locally, but when I sprayed the first layer of color-paint on and came back when it was dry I found out that the paint reacted with the clear (or the other way around) and a large portion of the panel was a big mess

So I decided to give it just one more try: sand everything down big time (not all the way through, but I used 240-grain sand-paper so you get the idea) and spray just one more layer of both colors and leave it like that...

I started with the black, masked all the yellow (and also the black parts of the stripe) and then painted, it actually came out quite good. Then I did the yellow (masked everything black, and also the yellow part of the stripes) and sprayed. At first it looked real nice (well relatively real nice...) but I went away for the weekend...

That would be the last mistake on this panel for now: I left the masking tape on there the whole time and when I came back yesterday and pulled it off I found that half of the sticky-glue-stuff from the tape loved the panel so much it decided to stay on there

I tried scratching it off with my nails, but that didn't work.. Then I tried some acetone (nail remover from my sister) on the back-bit of the panel: It ate the paint, so that didn't work either...

Finally I got most of it off using a lot of water and some elbow-grease... You can still see it if you know where to look, but it's not really noticeable in the pictures...

So, that's the story of "the haunted beige side-panel that didn't want to be painted..." on to the pictures:

PICTURES

Here's the panel on it's own

A close-up of the striping

A 3/4 view. I know I still didn't put anything (black) behind the floppy-slot but I will do that later. Or maybe I will make two USB-ports in the slot, but as I said: later

A bit closer look at the seem between the panels

And one final even-closer-up

I hope you enjoy this panel because it was an agonizing pain in the behind to get it like this...

keep safe - silverdemon

That looks ace, very striking. Well done

"I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars, the rest I just squandered." George Best

PROJECT: DIRTY BOMB

Very nice. =D
    "Don't imitate the world; Create your own."

It may have been a pain, but it looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jiggiwiddit View Post
    Is that an RD400? My dad's buddy pulled the motor out of a wrecked one and threw it in a 3 wheeler. It made for a crazy sand-drag toy. I saw it on ebay a year or so ago from the seller he sold it to. Had tons of carb problems.

Found a picture of it in someone elses photobucket using google lmfao!!!
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    Is that an RD400? My dad's buddy pulled the motor out of a wrecked one and threw it in a 3 wheeler. It made for a crazy sand-drag toy. I saw it on ebay a year or so ago from the seller he sold it to. Had tons of carb problems.
    Carb probs? Anything to do with all the sand? RD400s did have pretty crap carbs tho.
    Nice buggy, I bet it went like stink.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars, the rest I just squandered." George Best

Quote Originally Posted by jiggiwiddit View Post
    That looks ace, very striking. Well done
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch3ater View Post
    Very nice. =D
    Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    It may have been a pain, but it looks great!
    Thanks all! Now that it has been a couple of days since I finished that panel and I don't look at it from up close (but from my seat behind my desk) I am actually pretty satisfied with the result.
    OK, it's not perfect, but you have to look real careful to see the mess-up spots...

I started painting the fan today. Needs at least one more coat before it is finished, so pictures might come late this week, but more likely next week...

keep safe - silverdemon

Hey there!

Two coats of paint were sufficient because of; 1) the fan being white to begin with. 2) the fan will obviously be spinning and thus you won't see most of the imperfections etc.

So here are some pictures:

First off I forgot to take a picture from a straight angle to the side-panel, so on this picture you can see the seem between the front-panel and side-panel. Also You can see that some of the paintwork here is quite messy

Front view of the case with 'new' fan. I know you can look into the case through the fan, but when the fan spins and there's no flash to light everything you can't see into it.

a 3/4 view of the whole case. as noted before, you can't actually look into the case (through the fan) without a flash

And finally one more picture to show how it looks when the fan spins. Unfortunately I didn't have enough (white) light on the spot where it runs, so the picture is a bit yellow-ish, but you get the idea...

That's all for now, I'm off for the weekend

keep safe - silverdemon

Good job silverdemon. Now you've had some practice, pick some faster drying paint for next time
    I mostly use acrylics. They have good opacity (covering power), work well on metal/plastic and dry fast so mistakes are quickly fixed. And they look great after a clear coat.