Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: paint job: Hazard

Default Re: paint job: Hazard

Very nice with the yellow. But yea, once you lay down your color layers, you shoot a layer or two of clear coat over it. It's really just a protective layer; like the plastic wrap that comes over vinyl. It not only helps protect the paint job but gives it a REALLY nice sheen.

Wet sanding isn't too difficult, it's just making sure you don't cut through your layers of paint / primer / clear coat that gets tricky. If you're interested, get yourself some 1000 / 1500 / 2000 grit wetsand paper. Fill a small container with warm water and maybe a little bit of dish detergent. Get yourself a sanding block for a flat surfaces and a sponge for the not so straight surfaces. Wet the paper and sand. When you sand, you're just sanding lightly, no intense pressure's needed. Make sure you keep your strokes going in the same direction. I.E., you were sanding in a downward stroke, sand in a downward stroke.

There's more detailed (and probably way more accurate) descriptions on how to wetsand in the How To section.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see how it comes out! =D
    "Don't imitate the world; Create your own."

Thnx for the tips Couch3ater! I'll see how the parts come out when they are clear-coated and might give it a go then.

OK, small text-only update:

Today I took off the masking tape after the third layer of black (on the bottom-front panel) and I must say: it looks kinda cool. However there are some spots where the paint bled through the edges of the masking tape...

So I guess I'll have to touch those spots up and go for a clear-coat... But that's for next week, I'll post pictures too next week...

keep safe - silverdemon

[edit]
    OK, I couldn't resist posting a sneak preview here . The blur is photoshop, and the part around the button and leds (supposed to be black) is not on yet...
    Last edited by silverdemon; 04-16-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added sneak preview

Quote Originally Posted by silverdemon View Post
    Today I took off the masking tape after the third layer of black (on the bottom-front panel) and I must say: it looks kinda cool. However there are some spots where the paint bled through the edges of the masking tape...
    Frog tape. Available at wally world! I hate to plug walmart, but that sh*t is the bomb.
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

Hahaha, looks sweet. =D

Looking good . And if I screw my eyes up I can see it fine

"I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars, the rest I just squandered." George Best

PROJECT: DIRTY BOMB

Quote Originally Posted by burntheland View Post
    Frog tape. Available at wally world! I hate to plug walmart, but that sh*t is the bomb.
    Too bad, the nearest wallmart is probably more than 3000 miles away... I'll stick to my paper-like masking tape

Quote Originally Posted by Couch3ater View Post
    Hahaha, looks sweet. =D
    Thnx, wait till you see the whole thing. when I get to fix the minor faults and spray the clear on it it'll look a whole lot better

Quote Originally Posted by jiggiwiddit View Post
    Looking good . And if I screw my eyes up I can see it fine
    You got great eyes then a friend of mine almost got sick staring at this picture

Right! Update time!

I finally finished the painting of the bottom-front panel. Today I put on two layers of clear. It is not entirely how I want to have it (there are still some imperfections..) but it'll have to do.

On to the pictures:
    The part on it's own

A close-up (if you look really hard you may spot some of the imperfections)

This is how it looks on the case. The white fan will be painted yellow when I get to it...

The front

Don't know why I uploaded this picture, but it is once again the whole case

And finally a close-up on the case

Tomorrow I'll start on the side panel

BTW, maybe you think: "why does this all take so long?", well it's simple, I bought the wrong paint... The paint I use has a dry-time of 16 hours! which means I get to spray only one layer per day... fortunately the clear-coat is of a different brand which needs only 2 hours to set.
    This also means it'll take at least 6 days to paint the side panel when I spray one layer every day...

I'll keep you posted!

keep safe - silverdemon

[edit]: found out I added the wrong picture (last one) so changed it to the real close-up...
    Last edited by silverdemon; 04-23-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: changed picture

16 hours... whaaaaa?? lol... looking nice! ps, y not paint / clear coat the DVD drive
    Not dead yet

Looks really nice! =D

Thats looking really good

I'm thinking the a colored car polish (black) might get rid of some of the imperfections.

Love the color scheme, reminds me of a yamaha motorbike that I had in the 80s

"I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars, the rest I just squandered." George Best

PROJECT: DIRTY BOMB