Thread: modified an old nvidia geforce5 card

Fresh Paint

Default modified an old nvidia geforce5 card

some time ago i commented that it should be possible to mod some cards into there more expensive counterparts. well, i happened to receive a couple outdated maddog video cards and decided to give this mod a try myself. I had 2 geforce5 cards each with 128mb, i removed the memory form one card and installed it in the empty spaces on the other. sure enough, when i installed it on one of my old computers it showed up as having 256mb
    I was surprised it worked so easily, i expected to have to soft mod the card, increase the memory addresses list, ect. but it installed properly without any additional modifications. but this means at least the cards by maddog are extremely generic if not all cards in the geforce5 family.

has anyone else attempted to mod there outdated video cards? what results did you get?
    and can anyone confirm if any newer cards are identical to there pricier counterparts? use the same drivers and bios?

Default Re: modified an old nvidia geforce5 card

Extremely ambitious mod, can you provide pics? As I remember, XS once had a graphics contest in which everyone was given the same card. The winners yanked the GPUs off and swapped them for the top end. It can work...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Fresh Paint

Default Re: modified an old nvidia geforce5 card

i don't have a digital camera, so all i can give you are screen shots. i hope this helps.