Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Computer.....first build, I need your help!

ATX Mental Case

Default New Computer.....first build, I need your help!

Hey guys...( first post, be nice )

First off, props to all the modders here...when I found this site...i was amazed at the craftsmanship, detail, and ideas you all have come up with...amazing! beautiful creations!!

I am planning on building a new computer....I would love to do a custom case mod but I just dont have the time...

So I am going to go with a premod case, and I am not sure which one I like better or if one is "just" better(see below) However I plan on customizing the interior ( lights, watercooling, all the bells and whistles).

I am looking for some help with some of the major parts...case, mobo, processor, ram.....Please take a look at my which list and give me your recommendations. I am pretty set on the mobo...unless you can legitmattly tell me its a piece of crap or waste of money. Also, I would like to keep the rig a t a reasonable price range...say under $1500.( may or may not include a monitor)

I have a graphics card in my old 'puter thats ok...so I dont need to worry about that for now. (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, its kinda old, but works)

Thanks for your help and input!

oh ya....I am not big into gaming but I like to paly every now and then...I mainly use the computer for image editing, 3D stuff, web design, graphic design.....software I use: adobe suite, macromedia suite, office 2003, 3d Studio max....I know I probably have overkill on the parts, but I like to have cool toys

Not sure which one I like more....

RAIDMAX RX-9 GT ATX-911WR Red/Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811156058

Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811133154

-------------

Gigabyte GA-G1975X ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813128002

Intel Pentium D 930 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819116238

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM System Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820145098

Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive x 2
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822144129

Thermaltake Big Water SE Water Pump with Blue LED Light 12cm Liquid Cooloing System
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835106063

Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply
    http://www.xoxide.com/hiper-power-supply-black.html

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: New Computer.....first build, I need your help!

If you want a pre-modded case, I'd go to the nearest Fry's store and look at what they have. I saw the perfect case there while shopping with a friend who I'm going to help with a custom Case mod themed after the game "X3: Reunion"

If you are going to buy it online, Lian Li and Cooler Master are two very good companies that make some truly superb cases. Thermaltake is also a good one. Check out www.performance-pcs.com and see if there's anything there you like.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

i got my case at the Fry's in sactown as well, a Cooler Master Cavalier 1.

(btw, yes, i live in cali)

i pretty much went to fry's to get all my parts, saw the Cav 1, thought it was a pretty clean and simple case, so i nabbed it.

ATX Mental Case

sweet, I didnt know Fry's was computer stuff I just thought they were "electronics" I will check them out tomorrow on my lunch break!

Thanks.

Hey and welcome to the forums!

If you looking for feedback heres some!

I like the Red/black case better!!
    now if you are gaming on it i would put Mushkin ram in there.
    And other then getting a better video card I would say you have a nice setup!
    All your base are belong to us.

ATX Mental Case

Thanks justleftlife,

I like the radimax better as well, but the armor is bigger and has more room so I can cram more stuff in there.

AS far as RAM I read a new article on tomsharware.com about ram and corsair seemed to out perform all the others, then a brand called patriot, and then I think Mushkin was next followed by crucial....

....I am willing to bet that if I go with any of the top rated chips that a difference in speed is going to be very little, if even noticed without actually seeing specs.

is there anything I should add to my rig that is something you just cant live without?

Thanks!

Im not that well versed in the area of case modding yet, so ill leave that reply to the pros. As for the system setup u have planned , it looks fine but there are a few things you should consider. First, if ur going the pentium d route make sure u have excellent cooling, cuz they overheat like a diz (however ur watercooling should take care of that), if u do decide to go amd route i really like the athlon 64 x2 4200+ manchester, its an awesome value for the power it dishes out, and ive had tremedous luck with it! Second, the motherboard uve picked out is pricy and its only destinguishing features i picked up on where its crossfire capabilities, and the 8 gig ram, but u said u would be using this for video and image editing, so i cant ever seeing u needing more than 4 gigs (which is pretty standard on a lot of newer boards) also id look at going with a sli system over crossfire, as ive had better luck with it and have heard better reviews (there are some very nice boards that run a pentium cpu and sli that ive never heard problems about, try the ASUS P5ND2-SLI ATX Intel Motherboard or the eVGA 133-P4-NF51-AX ATX Intel Motherboard theyve both worked well and are rich in features, theres also an asus that would work that is about 190$ name slippin me right now but it supports 16 gigs of ram). lastly, well thats all i have, i luv value select and would completely agree that corsair builds the finest ram around, its never failed me in the past, and that hiper power supply is awesome, not to mention how nice water cooling is(cant comment on the system ur using, no experience with it) but i do like the koolance all in one deal that slides into the case, it works wonders, only problem is it makes mid towers kinda cramped and is on the pricy side (if ur already going with liquid cooling that shouldnt be and issue though). Well thats my 2 cents hope it helps some.

ATX Mental Case

Bcampbell91,
    thanks for your input!

I have been on the fence over Intel Vs. AMD....

I have heard lots of good things about both. About the only think I can say about AMD is that its a bit more expensive then an Intel..

So I just found a mobo I liked and then picked a good CPU.

lol...Ya that mobo does have capabilities of 8 gig worth of ram...I doubt I will ever need or get that much but I figure if I want this thing to last a while its better to be able to upgrade then not.

as for the water cooling...I like it. Definatly going to have it. I picked out the Big Water becasue of the cost and it seems to be an easy install for a rookie. I have seen lots of people like to use Koolance or Danger Den.

One thing I think is funny is that some of the parts used in case modding I use in my other hobby....Reef Aquariums.....

I uses Eheim Water pumps and I also build things out of acrylic....you PC guys call it Plexi

anyway, this is very helpful...keep it coming!

Thanks

no prob, this is all im good at so when someone needs help its cool. As for amd and intel ur right (but intel does run hot) since ur using water this isnt an issue so its ur decision. about amd being more expensive, its only thier x2 and fx series that cost more than pentiums, if u look at thier average venice core and compare it price wise and peformance wise to the p4s, the p4s fall behind a little and actually tend to be a little more expensive. correct me if im wrong but i believe an adm 3000+ would perform similarly to a p4 at 3.0ghZ. i would suggest u look into a board that runs sli though but if u wanna do crossfire im sure itll run fine on that mobo. with the wc and excess ram ur right its just for bragging rights but still it does kinda sound nice 8 gigs. if u have the money the raptor hdd's are the most amazing drives ive ever worked with!

ATX Mental Case

I will do some research on the raptors.....but tell me what you know about them.

The only reason I went with western digital was a friend said he liked them....no other reason.

Thanks