Thread: BMWs of the rotary tool world?

Default BMWs of the rotary tool world?

Looking through the modder's bible, CrimsonSky's Extreme PC Mods, where on page 14, he talks about a Foredom Flexible Shaft Power Tool.

These are the BMWs of the rotary tool world.
    How much better than a dremel could they be, especially given the price? (over $200 for just the motor!). Significantly better as it turns out.

I found a woodcarving kit from woodcraft with a 10% off coupon, score!

Motor, foot control, bit holder, bits, and hand pieces.

The motor is 1/6 HP with a forward and reverse direction. Ever eaten dremel dust? Reverse direction and the dust blows the other way.

I opted for a smaller hand piece than the standard one used by wood carvers. The handles come with collets that can accept dremel 1/8" shaft attachments.

Foredom makes different bits also. Check out the one in the lower left corner. That's a 1/4" shaft.

So much for the pron, how's it work? Crazy good! Slight whoosh spinning up but very quiet. The extra RPMs help it to melt through 1/8" brass with no bogging down or hesitation.

If you can find one of these on sale or just looking for the best tool going, I highly recommend it.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: BMWs of the rotary tool world?

Very cool indeed Mach, I'm a bit envious. Guess I'll have to stick with the homebrew solution that my father in law came up with a number of years ago--he took a pedal for a sewing machine and wired it so it would work with his dremel. Very handy for intricate work, I'll be the first to admit!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I too am a little jealous. I saw a man using one of these last year at a craft show to carve little animal figurines.

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    Handy for intricate work, I'll be the first to admit!
    Sorry DT, got busy with my worklog and forgot about this one. I'm a little surprised by how much I like the foot pedal, especially varying the speed. Reminds me of an accelerator on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I too am a little jealous. I saw a man using one of these last year at a craft show to carve little animal figurines.
    As nice as it is, I doubt that I would have spent the money before using it. Once you use it, wow. I wound up with mine because my girlfriend is awesome. She was on a tear to buy me a birthday present. She did very, very well.

man, that does look nice. :p
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sweeet. I remember stumbling across Foredom a while ago when my Dremel blew up... I ended up getting a knockoff form some shop on Amazon (~$40 instead of ~$300) while I waited for the RMA to finish, and even that I was pretty impressed with. The massive increase in power was the biggest surprise to me (I think mine is 1/3 HP), but since I kept trying to use it with Dremel attachments...well, let's just say I broke a whole lot of cutoff discs before I got the hang of it... I'm back to using my Dremel now, just because it is such a higher quality tool to work with..and is a lot easier to use in a bathtub... ... but once I have a real workshop, I think a Foredom TX series tool will definitely be on my wishlist.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV