Thread: Dynamic disk recovery....

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Dynamic disk recovery....

So, after failing to get RAID to work properly, I said screw it and put my three storage drives into a dynamic drive in Windows. Not the most security, but it gave me what I wanted; a single drive letter with the combined storage of all my drives.
    Now the inevitable has happened. A hard drive died. Shocking, I know. So now windows sees the entire dynamic drive as failed, and I cannot re-activate it. I've tried the simple and obvious, "Reactivate Volume" in Disk Management. I get a message saying, "We recommend that you run chkdsk on this volume after it becomes available for use." And thats all that happens. It doesn't become active, there is no change. I've tried a few different ways to run chkdsk, but it run on F drive (the drive in question).
    I've also tried putting it back online using diskpart, but that has not worked either.
    Any suggestions, ideas? Even if I could change them back to basic disks, but I don't have that option either. Please help thanks
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: Dynamic disk recovery....

Well, I have since figured out that I am screwed. It's all fixed up now, but I did lose all my schtuff. Thanks for the help.
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I saved my single drive by booting in Linux, which will see the partition, pulling the info off, and then formatting it.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

If you haven't written over the data yet, you should be able to get it off with photorec. Great tool for recovering files (though it won't know what the file names are...so you'll just have a bunch of files with weird names.

Incidentally, this is why we use RAID and backups. (I know you know, just rubbing it in. )
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV