Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Project : Far Cry

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project : Far Cry

Good question, nothing yet as I haven’t stuck any acrylic in there. I am not expecting the water to get near the window but to be safe I will probably just stick them in with silicone to seal it all up. Thanks for making me think about sealing them, I honestly hadn’t thought about it.

ATX Mental Case

I was in from the garage at about 1:30am again this morning and its not 3:45am. At this rate I will be stuffed before the 3day LAN event even starts :p

Tonight I started out by making up some mounting brackets for the DVD drive which fits in the gap at the front which you can see in some of the pics of my last update.

I was lucky enough to find this one last bit of 20x50x1.6mm aluminum. Unfortunately as you can just see from the pic it’s a bit dirty. I actually used it to sit some of the brass fittings on while I heated them up to add solder.

I then covered it with masking tape to protect it… well not really. I just used the masking tape because its easier to draw on then the aluminum :p You may just be able to see some of the markings in the pic.

Next it was time to cut. Seeing that I am fairly lazy I used the jigsaw with a fine place to cut this.

Then I drilled a whole in the corner where I need to cut. I could have done it without but it just makes it look a little nicer.

More jigsaw action and I got this.

I then started to remove the masking tape and luckily I realized before it was fully off that I hadn’t drilled the holes to actually mount the DVD drive yet, that was almost a stupid
    mistake :p So I drilled the holes and removed the tape.

Next came some quality time with the file. I also sanded it up with just some 100g sandpaper. I didn’t really need to as you wont see it but it just made me feel better not to see the grubby marks, blobs of solder and runs of epoxy. If it was something you would see in the end I would have polished it till you could see yourself in it. To tell the truth if I had the time I probably would have done that anyway… I like polished aluminum

Here you can see the brackets attached to an old stuffed 52X CD drive.

This is roughly where it will sit in the case. As you can see I am holding it there with my figure as I have not yet decided on the final position so didn’t have it bolted in place.

While I had the case upside down I started working out where all the tubing would go and where I could stick the pump. Lucky for me the DD MAG pump is pretty tiny so I could fit it just about anywhere. This position worked out quiet well.

Last pic for the night is just a general overview of the case. You can see I got the bit of plastruct stuck on the other side and have also added a little filler to make them blend in a bit better. What you cant see from this pic is that I have finally fiber glassed the bottom section of the water feature. I also applied the left over epoxy to the case to seal it using a rag and wiping it on. This made it fairly smooth so I shouldn’t have to sand much.

That’s all for now. Check back tomorrow for more updates. Thanks for looking everyone

Looking goo, cant be far off now got the inards started

maximan1

Talking Re: Project : Far Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Limits

This is roughly where it will sit in the case. As you can see I am holding it there with my figure as I have not yet decided on the final position so didn’t have it bolted in place.
    Nice finger

wow, this is awesome work

just looking at the pump and tubing, when you start it up are you going to have the water in the bottom (bottom of the waterfall thing) as the resevior because if theres no water the pump probably wont work for too long, going to be interesting transporting it lol

btw like the front page

ATX Mental Case

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven’t updated for a couple of days. I haven’t got a great deal of work done over the last couple of days as I have been trying to get parts and things to finish this off. I hope to have this all ready to be painted and then put together by Sunday night. I have done quiet a bit on it tonight but may not update till tomorrow night so keep an eye out then

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    just looking at the pump and tubing, when you start it up are you going to have the water in the bottom (bottom of the waterfall thing) as the resevior because if theres no water the pump probably wont work for too long, going to be interesting transporting it lol

btw like the front page
    Wooooo… I normally just go straight to the forums and skip the front page. Thanks very much for the little write up man. Nice to see my work is appreciated

Yep there is a part at the bottom of the waterfall thing that will act as a res so the pump has a constant supply of water. For transport I am thinking I might add in a drain hole so I can drain the water and refill it once I arrive. At the moment I have one very hot bit of brass sitting out In the garage that I am waiting for to cool after soldering. It’s the bit that splits the 1/2inch tubing off into 10 little 5/32 tubes. All going well I should have it tested tonight. I have already done a quick test by poring water in the top and the results were pleasing. I just have a few changes to make so the water flows how I want and it should be sweet.

Thanks again

No problem mate, its agreat mod.

cant wait for the next update, lets hope it all flows well

ATX Mental Case

IT LIIIIIIIIIIVES … Just hooked up one of the pumps gangsta styles to a car battery to test :p water flowed nicely. I have to make a few changes to the rocks etc as expected but no major problems I was a little disappointed at the amount of water coming through out the top. If I have time I may have to try some larger tubing or a more powerful pump but the important thing is it did work Now its 2:30am so I will be heading off to bed soon so I can get a good days work done on it tomorrow

Sounds great, glad it worked for you, cant wait for pics, or even a video *hint*