Thread: Review: Samsung SE-S084 Slim External DVD Writer

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Review: Samsung SE-S084 Slim External DVD Writer

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=475]Review: Samsung SE-S084 Slim External DVD Writer [/drupal]

By Slaveofconvention

It seems like there are new netbooks from companies like Asus, MSI, Samsung, Dell and Acer appearing every day, each with slightly different specifications to try to lure the prospective buyer from one brand and model, to another. The one thing they DO all have in common is the lack of an optical drive. If you have a netbook, and need an optical drive, could Samsung's SE-S084 Slim External DVD Writer be the answer? Read on...
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 03-19-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Default Re: Review: Samsung SE-S084 Slim External DVD Writer

I brought this drive back in November to use with a netbook I ordered at the same time. I found it easy to use, plug & play under Linux. Extremely quiet & lightweight. I have had several drives over the years. This one has been the best one to date. I would highly recommend it especially to anyone with a netbook
    Check the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Actually, I have a 7" linux eeepc somewhere - I could have tested that too lol - thanks for the comment tho

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

Hey,

I have a netbook too, and newest Ubuntu running on it. And I've bought that slim Samsung SE-S084 too. But it is not working properly. At first I thought it would work without any further doing. But I Can't play DVD Movies with it. Nor can i copy the dvd content to the harddrive. I so far could not find a proper diver for the drive for linux. Not on linux-drivers.org for example.

Are you sure it really worked at your system? Because i can see the titles of the files on the dvd too, I just can't use them in any way.

Do you know any external dvd player, that is for sure supported under Linux?

Thanks for any help.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Please refrain from discussing the ripping of DVD movie content to your hard drive.

Thanks,
    TBCS Management

hi boss,

just bought the same samsung external drive yesterday, i have winxp, hp mini 110. and i noticed its not burning when i simply drag and drop the file to the dvd drive, it says that xp had a problem and if i hit retry, its the same thing. i read from the web then that winxp cant write to DVD's without a 3rd party software but it can w no problems on cd's, is this true? im not so tech savvy hehe, so if u can enlighten w this, apreciate it.

samsung has nero too but i hate nero coz it drags down pc's performance haha. but yeah, so my question again is: can i burn (drag and drop to windows explorer) to dvd without a 3rd party software? coz i cant lol :p tnx tnx!