Thread: AGP V. PCIe

Default AGP V. PCIe

Okay i may get flamed for this,

What is the differnce from AGP v. PCIe i cant seem to tell any with the exeption being in the price (X800 PCIe $182, AGP $490).

anyone know?
    All your base are belong to us.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: AGP V. PCIe

the bus speed is faster, it's newer, it allows dual GPU, etc.

-Omega

well the box says i can do dual gpu with PCI i dont have a mobo to support it
    All your base are belong to us.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    the bus speed is faster, it's newer, it allows dual GPU, etc.

-Omega
    You forgot to mention if you were talking about PCIe or AGP...

Anyways, if you can, you want to go with PCI-Express. It's the new standard (AGP is getting old) and it's got a slightly faster bus (meaning better performance). However, if you don't have a motherboard that has at least one PCIe 16x slot, then buying a PCIe card won't work.

yup, exactly like wingman said...however you should already know from your motherboard which type you should get...if it has PCI-e then it most likely wont have AGP...atleast i don't think it will. and if you kan i would suggest that you go with PCI-e...it's like 16x faster dude...that's a lot faster. And i would deffinetely check your prices....ie shop around i dunno where you would be able to find an X800 for $490...and if you do...well don't buy it. More often then not PCI-e should be more then AGP ok good luck

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jetty_200
    yup, exactly like wingman said...however you should already know from your motherboard which type you should get...if it has PCI-e then it most likely wont have AGP...atleast i don't think it will. and if you kan i would suggest that you go with PCI-e...it's like 16x faster dude...that's a lot faster. And i would deffinetely check your prices....ie shop around i dunno where you would be able to find an X800 for $490...and if you do...well don't buy it. More often then not PCI-e should be more then AGP ok good luck
    There are a few Mobo that have both, But the PCI-e is the new standard for video cards, and requires a Mobo to have a PCI-e to use one.

With Video card venders looking to boost performance with Crossfire or SLI you will need a board that supports the version your wanting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetty_200
    it's like 16x faster
    im sorry, but i laughed. Its not 16x faster, but allows more bandwidth. Video card manufacterers have just picked it up for that reason. AGP isnt dead, youll be able to play anygame out right now at the highest possible settings (not resolution tho) with an x850 xt. If you plan on upgrading in the near future, already have an agp mobo, and dont care about future proofing then go with the agp, but if you wanna be preped for windows vista, get pci-e