Thread: Spray Painting A Laptop

Smile Spray Painting A Laptop

Hello

I was given a spares/repairs Acer Aspire 3100 the other day and it has some horrible scratches on the plastic casing - like ones done with a sharp knife.

Ive found spare casing parts on ebay for the exact laptop. But i was wanting to spray the laptop casing a Metallic Red, just to make it my own. I also want to put a black stencil of some sort on the plate lid.

From what i know its all the same material, just wondering what type of spray paint i should use.

Preferably recommendations from British suppliers.

Thanks

Default Re: Spray Painting A Laptop

Any rattle can should do. Just check what it coats (to make sure it works for plastic), and most importantly, get yourself some plastic primer. I want to say Rustolium is good, but I'm not the paint expert of the board.

Cammando, where are you? Here boy! *whistles* Want a cookie??

(It's early morning after a long night, just starting school; I have to have my fun somehow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Krylon Fusion - designed to adhere to almost anything, primarily plastic. I've used it for Xbox's, model cars, etc.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Krylon Fusion - designed to adhere to almost anything, primarily plastic. I've used it for Xbox's, model cars, etc.
    I second this. I've used it on plastic patio furniture and it still looks good after 3 years outside. It bond well and doesn't scratch/scuff off easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

I 3rd the fusion plastic paint. and prep time is essential. sand sand sand!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

TBH, I never did any sanding on my Xboxs, I just disassembled them completely, and scrubbed the cases with soap and water in the sink (just like doing dishes.. lol).

One thing I did notice, is that you need to give it PLENTY of time to cure to a good hardness, or it'll smudge/scratch. I left mine in the sun for 2 days, and covered them at night.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Have a hunt in your yellow pages for a local supplier to small independent bodyshops - I part run one in the north-east of england and our stuff is both much higher quality than you'll get in places like halfords, b&q, pound shop etc, and a damned sight cheaper - well maybe not cheaper than the pound shop but that stuff is absolutely useless so avoid it even if they offer it free with a can of coke!

The plastic primer isn't actually a requirement on a laptop - it can help, sure, but as long as you have a good key for the paint, standard primer will do the job. Plastic primer is essential where there's going to be serious wear n tear - car bumpers and the like.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Wow thanks guys

I looked around today at Krylon's Fusion paints. They are a US product and aren't available really anywhere in the UK, except there is this firm that sells it worldwide for about $4/£3ish with FREE postage

Not sure about the colours, because as they aren't always as they appear on the screen!!

I want a dark red. Also would it be a matt colour? Because im aiming for a kind of metallic colour.

@slaveofconvention im not sure if there are any of those places in Essex :S
    i use Yell.com as i dont know where my physical copy is, so what should i search?

Here's an image of the colour i would like..out of the chart avaliable on Krylon's site which one do you think would be the closet match

Again many thanks, im such a noob at this XD

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I'd search for bodyshop supplies or paintshop supplies maybe - as for that colour, it looks like a pearl red lacquer over a plain coarse silver groundcoat - some kind of candy red.

I'll speak to a couple of our reps and find out who they supply down that part of the world if you like - shoot me a pm with your town and I'll see what's nearby

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Anodized

There is a product in the US also called Bulldog. It's an adhesion promoter. I know you can spray it on most plastic and it makes whatever paint your using stick.

May not be avaliable there though. You buy it at auto paint shops here.