Thread: Anyone know anything about purchasing replacement laptop screens?

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Anyone know anything about purchasing replacement laptop screens?

Hey all. I smashed my laptop forever ago but it still functions and i'm thinking of buying a new screen for it to make it usable again. Is their anything I need to know about replacing laptop screens? I have it torn out already and I just ran the Model number off the back of the screen through ebay and a ton of options popped up. Should it be compatible as long as its the same model number?

Should I be wary of eBay sellers and try to find a web store that specializes in this sorta thing? The LCD panels for the aspire one i have seem to be crazy cheap one eBay is it to good to be true? ($30-$40 and around $15 shipping seems to be the norm.)

I'm mainly looking for tips on buying a new screen as I've never purchased parts that weren't "off the shelf." Anything I should keep in mind?

Thanks guys.
    Edit: On second look, prices on ebay are all over the board ranging from 20-30, 40-50 and some in the 80-100 price range. They all seem to be the same model though, I'm so confused.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone know anything about purchasing replacement laptop screens?

Yeah, as long as the model number is the same it should be fine. It should even work fine with just similar models, but if you get the exact same one, you shouldn't have any problems.

As for buying off eBay, my general rule is no less than 100% satisfaction rating if they have less than 100 sales, and no less than 95% if they have more than 100 sales. Also, if they have less than a few hundred sales I make sure to exchange communications a fair bit before placing any bids.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I rebuilt a Compaq laptop from just parts on ebay (screen, wireless, ram, etc). Thing was torn up pretty bad. Had been stepped/stomped on numerous times (not mine, got for free).

The screen I picked up off ebay was a perfect match, except for the metal bracket that surrounded the screen. Model # and everything was the same, but the metal frame wasn't correct. I removed part of the original frame, and attached it to the new one, and it fit in perfect.

Worked out great for me, and there are plenty of screen dealers on ebay with 20k+ feedback, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    As for buying off eBay, my general rule is no less than 100% satisfaction rating if they have less than 100 sales, and no less than 95% if they have more than 100 sales. Also, if they have less than a few hundred sales I make sure to exchange communications a fair bit before placing any bids.
    but if they're under 100 feedback and have one idiot who buys the wrong thing or something, they're not going to have 100%, and, in my experience, usually at least half of the satisfied buyers never leave feedback. I've had one person who was pissed off that the used game they bought wasn't in "new" condition, and somebody else who left negative feedback because the international shipping took too long, even though he asked for another method and had a tracking number.

If you pay with paypal, you can get your money back if it's bad, but you often have to wait some amount of time to get your money back.

If you see the same model for different prices, just get the cheapest one that's in good condition.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Thanks guys. I'll probably pick one up off ebay then. I'm still perplexed by the vast difference in pricing. They all claimed to be new and of the same model yet some were thirty and other were 90-100.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    but if they're under 100 feedback and have one idiot who buys the wrong thing or something, they're not going to have 100%, and, in my experience, usually at least half of the satisfied buyers never leave feedback. I've had one person who was pissed off that the used game they bought wasn't in "new" condition, and somebody else who left negative feedback because the international shipping took too long, even though he asked for another method and had a tracking number.
    Yeah, this is true. That's why I'll generally look a little harder at a seller if they have >100; maybe actually read a selection of the feedback. Though if there are two sellers with the same product in the same condition, for similar prices, and one has 50 feedback and the other has 5000, with similar feedback ratings, I'll go with the one with 5000 just to be on the safe side.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV