Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is mac's switch to the intel a cry for help or a move toward the future?

Anodized

Default Is mac's switch to the intel a cry for help or a move toward the future?

Ive notice that mac has lossed almost all suport from its original companies . most have gone to linux or windows. i work in a vocational school and the only reason why they use macs is because mac pays them to. tell me what you guys believe.

-----------------------------~*SPECS*~----------------------------

~ASUS P5ND2 with SLI
    ~Realtek ALC850 8-Channel
    ~lga775 Pentium 4 Processor HT running at 3.0 stock
    ~radeon X1300
    ~2 512mb DDR2 sticks-o-ram
    ~160 gig SATA hdd
    ~5 60 mm fans all running at atleast 2600 RPM

-----------------------------~*SPECS*~----------------------------

Default Re: Is mac's switch to the intel a cry for help or a move toward the future?

i think once windows becomes a completely stable os mac is going to become obsolete, and will be reduced to making ipods full time.

Anodized

Default Re: Is mac's switch to the intel a cry for help or a move toward the future?

in my opinion Macs will never become obsolete. I have both a Mac and a PC. I prefer the PC but will admit that the Mac does come in handy. They are good for Video editing and Art Applications.
    Mac OS X is an improvement and is still getting better, I think that the Mac OS will become superior to windows after a few more releases.

ATX Mental Case

I like the fact that they are using Intel chips they are better for video editing and art programs like R/C Pilot said but windows is getting better and better now it is installed on around 80% of all PCs as standard!

I think that the Mac-Windows comparrison has become increasingly invalid over recent years. This is mainly because Apple advertise and sell product: You can have an i-book, a G4, you can have it red, white, wide-screen, with a funky mouse, etc. etc.

Whereas with Windows, you get...XP Pro or Home. Because of this i forsee a 'underdog success story' akin to AMD vs. Pentium happening in a couple of years, with Apple using the sales of their other products, like i-pod, to lower the prices of Mac OS in a similar tactic to the one Microsoft used to ship the x-box. Because, and let's be honest here-the Mac has the most beginner/user friendly interface, it's going to become much more popular over time.

Although Apple have to make their OS a lot more Gamer-friendly in order to succeed. That's what i think.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Mac's suck.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Anodized

intels have always been crys for help

and AMD has always been there to answer them

Rankenphile

oh no, not this debate again!

lol booyah AMD...well actually i do like Dave's point...however as our society is stupid and continues to repeat itself in history, i think that soon enough they will catch on. Atleast i hope. I must agree with crimson...mac's suck...however i've only used one and never owned one so i dunno how valid that point is...anyways go AMD

Life is like an analogy...

well id just like to put my two cents in here because i cant take the torment of not participating in a timebomb debate.

ill start by stating what i agree and disagree with. ive heard it said that one of the few things macs have going for them is their looks, and i would tend to agree that they are probably the best looking stock computers available. i also see a lot of people saying thay macs are well suited for editing of any sort. i would agree with this too seeming as whenever i use a mac, the majority of programs are related to audio/video composition. one thing i disagree with is the outright statement that macs plain suck, because no matter how obscured they are these days, they are still a marvel of space management and technology. i also disagree with the idea that their OS is fairly first-timer friendly. i remember when i first tried to use one of those imacs or emacs.... one of 2004's new ones... man that was confusing. there was no description of icons or anything and i was utterly lost while fumbling with a school project.

now ill move to the question at hand. is switching to intel chips a cry for help? of course it is. any company would jump at the chance to get in on something new and promising. we see adds for intel everwhere, so people would most likely sway to what they know. ive already seen a couple adds for intel macs, and id say they did a good job of painting it as a minor step and making it look like a very good thing. it just makes business sense for macs to switch over to a more profitable platform.

i think another question that should be addressed though, is whether or not this was a good idea. now, in my opinion, it wasnt a very good idea. here is my reasoning. the fact that macs used powerPC chips set them apart from anything else, but now they are just melding in to create nothing more than another glorified x86 based PC with a nifty OS. i personally took a liking to what IBM was doing with technologies that could be implemented in powerPC's, and now with macs gone, im not really sure how the recent advancements in things like UV lithography and strained silicon are ever going to trickle directly from IBM to us... yes there will be servers and such, but i dont know if there will be a large scale distributor for the average person. im sure intel will pick up with the new technologies, but its a bummer to think that the company that originally thought that stuff up will no longer pass it directly to us. not to mention it will probably take intel a good 5 to 10 years to really adopt the IBM fashioned techniques if at all.

another reason why i think this isnt a very good move is because it further expands intel's hold on the market. now before everybody starts agreeing with me on the grounds that "AMD pwns all" im going to say that just because i dont like what intel is doing, it doesnt mean i support AMD. i support whatever is the best stuff out there at the present time. the number one crown will shift back and forth, so my support will shift back and forth. getting back to the market share deal though, i dont like the added share from macs because it just adds more squeeze on competitors. i like free competition because it speeds up creativity and everything to do with production of new technologies. thats just getting less and less possible now days. ideally... the macs should have gone to AMD for the sake of leverage in the market... just to make things slightly more fair.

im just going to keep on truckin here. moving on to why macs are still used so widely in schools for some reason... well i cant say for sure why that is. i doubt they're being paid to use them unless they're a big name school. i suspect that they are used so frequently because of the strong media background, and the need for something to do school projects on.

ok, the truck has stopped. im done with this for now. just one last thing though. for the people who are very pro-AMD, be careful these days, because as many of us have seen in the past day or so, the conroe processor came out from intel, and the early, non-optimized and non-tweaked tests show a large lead on AMD now. these are tests from IDF though, so they may be biased... but just beware that the company that everyone is supporting right now may fall behind again. its the never ending see-saw motion, and that's why i support no one in particular.

ok NOW im done. you may now proceed to burn me at the stake for even thinking that AMD might lose the crown. you may also stone me for saying that macs look good... or hang me for reasons to do with morality... just leave my shoes alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it