Thread: Will this processor run?

Last Thoughts

Default Will this processor run?

Hey guys, I'm not very good when it comes to compatibility, so I need some help quick before I order my stuff. I have a motherboard that is "AM3 Ready", but it's listed under AM2+. What I want to know is if these two will work together:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103681
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135075

I already have the motherboard, which by the way, the website says it is AM3 ready. Here's the website link:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Pro...nuID=1&LanID=9

I checked the manual and from what I understand it should work, but my understanding is very slim on the subject. Please let me know if it'll work guys! Thanks!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Will this processor run?

From what I can see, yes it should work just fine. The "AM3 ready" seems to be an add-on on the website so you may have to update the BIOS on the board but I'd say that would be the worst you'll see.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Last Thoughts

Ok thanks man, so then it says AM3 ready it just means that at default it isn't going to work but upon upgrading the software it would correct? I'm also wondering if DDR3 would run now, or is DDR2 as far as it goes? Thanks guys.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

No, as far as I know, DDR3 is a hardware issue and the board has to be made specifically to use it.

And on the AM3, if it's a new board it may not even need a BIOS update. Again, this is an assumption, but if it's AM3 ready it should work, even if you have to update the software.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    No, as far as I know, DDR3 is a hardware issue and the board has to be made specifically to use it.
    This is correct; DDR2 is actually a physically different socket than DDR3, so it is impossible to upgrade compatibility with firmware.

For the CPU on the other hand, it's a little more complicated. Basically, current AM3 CPUs are backwards compatible with AM2 and AM2+ sockets, dependent on the BIOS supporting the new chips. From what I can tell from the manufacturer's page, it appears that it should be fine, but it might require an updated BIOS version. Basically, once you get the CPU and RAM, try it. If nothing happens, you'll (hopefully) just need to update the BIOS, and it shouldn't harm any of the components in any way. The problem arises that to flash the BIOS yourself, you need a CPU that already works with it... If you can't borrow/etc one, I've was quite pleased with BIOSMAN's services when I ran into a similar problem at work. You give them info from your current BIOS chip (should be on a physical sticker on the chip), and tell them what version of the BIOS you want, and for ~$30 they send you a new one. It occurs to me, however, that at this price point, that's actually a significant portion of the cost of the MBB (for a $5,000+ system at work it was not an issue ), so maybe find a local store with a good return policy where you can buy an AM2 CPU, use it to flash the BIOS, then return the CPU (if it doesn't work with the AM3 when you get it).

From the wiki article:
    Socket AM3 breaks compatibility with AM2/AM2+ processors due to a subtle change in key placement. The AM3 socket has 941 pin contacts[1] while current AM3 processors have only 938 pins. Tom's Hardware removed the two obstructing key pins from an AM2+ Phenom processor in order to fit it into an AM3 socket. The processor did not work in the AM3 socket, but still worked in an AM2+ socket, suggesting that compatibility issues run deeper than merely the key pins.[4] It is likely due to the fact that the built-in memory controller in AM2/AM2+ processors only support DDR2 (unlike AM3 processors, which supports both DDR2 & DDR3 memory).[5]

As AM3 processors also support DDR2, they are backwards-compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+, contingent upon a BIOS update for the motherboard. Manufacturers including Asus,[6] Gigabyte,[7] and others have labeled existing AM2/AM2+ boards as being "AM3 Ready" or similar, indicating that BIOS support is provided for the specified boards. This allows existing AM2/AM2+ systems to upgrade the CPU without having to upgrade any other components.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

most AM2+ board will work even if its not supported, it runs a single core at a restricted speed, basicly it dosen't know how to talk to the CPU correctly, but theres a basic set of instructions that all AMD chips from S754 onwards all adhear to.

So you can slap in a brand new chip, it not support, but you still do a bios flash to get it to support it.

But you do know that running a AM3 chip in a AM2+ board restricts the cpu, it runs a slower FSB and slower hypertransport link

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!