Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news! 3 Tesla Motors Execs killed in plane crash in Palo Alto CA.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Breaking news! 3 Tesla Motors Execs killed in plane crash in Palo Alto CA.

Here is one for you tin foil hatters. Its sad though because Tesla cars are awesome looking and boast some decent performance specs for being all electric.

A twin-engine Cessna piloted by a "high-ranking official at Tesla" crashed into an East Palo Alto neighborhood today killing the pilot and two others on board. A Tesla spokesperson has confirmed three employees were involved in the crash.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the plane belonged to Doug Bourn, a senior electrical engineer for Tesla Motors. Although it's unclear whether or not he was on board at the time. As we reported first earlier, two other Tesla employees were in the plane at the time of the crash. Fox News is reporting that Tesla CEO Elon Musk was not onboard, and that he's calling this the "worst day in Telsa's history."

Tesla employees are reportedly "shaken" and a bus has been brought to the front of their facility to take them to, assumedly, a place where they can be consoled.

So what happened? According to SFGate:

Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the plane was a twin-engine Cessna 310 that had taken off from Palo Alto Airport, about a mile to the southwest, and was bound for Hawthorne Municipal Airport in Los Angeles County.

FAA records show that the plane is registered to Air Unique Inc. of Santa Clara. It was manufactured in 1976.

A twin-engine Cessna crashed into electric transmission lines shortly after take-off from a small airport, exploding on impact, killing all three people onboard and crashing into an East Palo Alto neighborhood, authorities said.

The crash has caused apower outage in the Palo Alto after the plane hit transmission wires. @vmwarecares also claims they've got a phone outage as well.

Daniel Morales, who told KTVU he had previously flown with the pilot, identified him as a high-ranking official at Tesla Motors. Authorities, or Tesla Motors, however, have not released the names of the victims.

Tesla Motors and planes have been inexorably linked over recent weeks with Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk, finding himself in hot water over reimbursements by Tesla for 12 trips he took in his own private jet.
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 02-17-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Default Re: Breaking news! 3 Tesla Motors Execs killed in plane crash in Palo Alto CA.

They are...ITS THE OIL INDUSTRY

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: Breaking news! 3 Tesla Motors Execs killed in plane crash in Palo Alto CA.

I hope this doesn't end the Type S Sedan's chances of coming to market.

-CollinstheClown

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    I hope this doesn't end the Type S Sedan's chances of coming to market.
    Or whatever the gen 3 car is supposed to be....I've really been looking forward to that one.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

what I wonder is what the heck were they doing taking off in such heavy fog? There's a reason even airliners don't land or take off in those conditions...you just can't see a thing.

I saw a tesla roadster in a local grocery parking lot yesterday...and so ended my hope (small though it was) of ever owning one. The car is TINY. And I'm 6' 3". I'd never fit...(to say nothing of every having the $$ for it).
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    what I wonder is what the heck were they doing taking off in such heavy fog? There's a reason even airliners don't land or take off in those conditions...you just can't see a thing.
    Actually, this is a very good point...I doubt we'll ever know though, between Tesla and the FAA keeping it so under wraps.

I saw a tesla roadster in a local grocery parking lot yesterday...and so ended my hope (small though it was) of ever owning one. The car is TINY. And I'm 6' 3". I'd never fit...(to say nothing of every having the $$ for it).
    Heheh, yup. It's based on the Lotus Elise, which is a pretty tiny car. The S series though, is a nice sized 4-door sedan...with very similar performance stats. (Projected price ~$60k) Then, the as-yet-unannounced line that they plan to build with the profits from the S series is supposed to be a 'budget' 2-door, shooting for at least the same range, for ~$30k. Still not cheap, but a lot cheaper.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Well, we don't know if they are execs yet. It could have been a Senior Electrical Engineer and his two apprentices. If it was Elon Musk, then get your aluminum hats on.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    Well, we don't know if they are execs yet. It could have been a Senior Electrical Engineer and his two apprentices. If it was Elon Musk, then get your aluminum hats on.
    Fox News is reporting that Tesla CEO Elon Musk was not onboard, and that he's calling this the "worst day in Telsa's history."
    ...unless Fox News is in on it...or Elon Musk is in on it! Nooooo!!!!!
    --Benjamin Franklin

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I have been scanning the news channels all night during commercial breaks in the Olympics and have not seen anything on this yet. Maybe the morning will bring more details.

The size of the car is deceiving. You would fit. My brother-in-laws company is providing the diagnostic equipment for Tesla and has ridden in the car several times. He mentioned it was kind of like Dr. Who's Phone Box... He is trying to see if he can beg a ride for me next time. I see several of these cars on my commute to work. One is owned by one of the exec's and the license plate is: TESLA1. (not sure if that is the red one or yellow one I see)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...