Thread: Oi, my edges suck

Fresh Paint

Default Oi, my edges suck

Hi all, I just started my first casemod project with a case I picked up for cheap (the dremel cost me more) and have been trying to add windows to it. However, my edges look awfully rough compared to the thermaltake next to me. Grinding it helps some but puts dips in the edge where I may've pressed to hard, ect. Also, do you guys have any recomendations for ways to attach a glass panel to the holes I cut out?

Default Re: Oi, my edges suck

post a picture...always post a picture

ATX Mental Case

One suggestion, just carry the cutting wheels along the edge you want to cut, going into the surface very little, just enough to create an insanely small recession in the surface. I do that and then sue it as a guide. If you do happen to screw up, you can usually file down the error.

Another way of doing that is to actually draw the line with a very thin pen or pencil and, with a steady hand, cut that line exactly.

One mor thing that may work is to clamp a piece of sheet metal or wood to the surface and use it as a guide.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Another idea is to use large grit sandpaper to finish the edges after you have shaped them with the dremel. I use it on just about everything including stainless steel sheets and it works great. Metal file for edges with metal burs that would cut through the sandpaper.

Fresh Paint

Thanks guys, I would post a picture but I don't have a digital camera, at least not anymore. I'll get some pictures later, but I can provide a link to the new case piccy.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...171-082-02.JPG

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I put a side panel on my comp and it helped a lot having a mate help u hold or cut out the piece of metal that u are using.