Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of tools

Overclocked

Default The cost of tools

Now we all know outfitting the workshop can get expensive, if you're like me and need to have all the tools to do the job right, a small fortune in your wrkshop will amass in short order.

Here are some tips to help you decide what to buy and how to buy it:

In Canada, we have Canadian Tire, a general hardware, housewares, and automotive arts retail outlet. Their Mastercraft line of tools are very dependable, and each month, there's always something on sale. Buy your expensive tool purchases on sale, if you can. For example, I bought the Mastercraft 12" drill press, variable seed, etc. normally it's $200.00, but on sale I got it for $145.00. That $55.00 went to other tools.

Don't be afraid of package deals. Black and Decker usually package some of their most common powertools in a very affordable package. Sometimes, you may have one of the tools in the package, but if you're like me, you can never have too many cordless drills.

Most times, the lowest price isn't the best deal. If you're buying screwdrivers, why not go with the cheap ones, but when it comes to any powertools, go with a recognized name. Don't buy the cheap one if you dn't know the company manufacturing it. Chances are, it's cheaper because it's inferior quality.

Buy what you need. Chances are most peole don't need a drillpress or a lathe. If you're going to use it only once, you may want to find smeone who has the tool, and get them to do that part for you. As a last resort, try the yellow pages for a machine shop. Most times you'll find someone to drill out those 4" holes for you for $20.00. Money well spent if that's the only time you'll need the service.

The most important piece of equipment in your workshop are your safety glasses. You'll be wearing these a lot, so make sure they are comfortable. I cannot stress this point enough. This is one thing that you should never be without.

Remember, you're setting up your shop for you, not for the community. Put in there what you need or want. We all have our ideas of the essential tools, but in the end, only you know what you need.

Shop around. When you find what you want, negotiate. Retail is the sucker price. Don't be a sucker. Even $10.00 off a $200.00 item is better than nothing.

Remember, these tools will get you through more than just case modding. If you buy quality tools and take care of them, you'll have them a really long time. For all those youngsters out there: One day you'll probably be a home owner, like myself, and every home owner knows that homes require maintenance and upkeep. Your tools can help you with that too.

All of these points are meant to help you choose the right tools for you. Some points may not apply to your situation, but you'll find there are some that will help. In the end, the most important part is to buy the tools that suit your needs.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

ATX Mental Case

I'd like to throw in two thoughts to fishies' advice on the quality of tool you buy.

First, be honest with yourself about how much you'll use it, now and in the future. If you aren't going to be using it every other day and don't plan to lug it around with you everywhere you move in the next decade, don't spend the money on "professional" level tools. The mid-range tools are good for the occasional user and leave you more money for the little extra touches you might otherwise have to skip due to budget constraint.

Second, if you are the type who will be using your tools constantly and for years and years, do the research and look for something that will not only meet your needs now but in the future when your skills improve. Buy the best quality you can possibly afford and it will only hurt your wallet that one time. Cheap out and you are setting yourself up for frustration in the shop and another purchase further down the road.

Remember to know exactly what you want before you hit the store, it's very easy to stroll around the tool dept and walk up to the register with $1000 worth of tools $900 of which you'll use twice if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    walk up to the register with $1000 worth of tools.
    Have you been following me around? It wasnt my fault .... I ....

*cry*

I have a problem!!

Honestly .. I dont know what it is, but hardware stores are the worst places. Walk in for a $20 part .. walk out with the $20 part and a few $100 in tools. I actually have told my GF not to let me go to a hardware store without her.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by JesDer
    I have a problem!!

Honestly .. I dont know what it is, but hardware stores are the worst places. Walk in for a $20 part .. walk out with the $20 part and a few $100 in tools. I actually have told my GF not to let me go to a hardware store without her.
    The first, and most difficult step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I applaud you, JesDer. Now, find a T.A. grup (Tools Anonymous) and work that program.

Seriously though, I'm the same way. I can't spend any less than an hour in Home Depot. One time, I came home and there was a police car out front of the house. I walk in to find my wife in hysterics, filling out a missing person's report. Since then, she's stapled the lanyard on my cellhone to my hip, so I can't use the excuse, 'I left the phone in the car.'

I'm like a deer caught in the headlights. It's quite sad, actually.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

I've gone to the hardware store\home depot\\e.t.c. quite a few times specifically for one thing and one thing only, I'll walk out with 20 things none of which was the thing I needed in the first place.

Overclocked

I guess you're in the same club as JesDer and I.

It's rare that I can go just to look.
    -=-=-=-=-

The SlackMeister

i dont get it, what can you buy everytime you go there? may be its that i am not old enough to understand, but i dont get it.....

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlacker
    i dont get it, what can you buy everytime you go there? may be its that i am not old enough to understand, but i dont get it.....
    Tools, you walk past a cool 24v hammer drill and say to yourself holy crap 600lbs of torque! man I could use this. Even though you have 3 drills already. Have you ever gone grocery shopping while hungry and bought a bunch of snacks instead of bread, milk, vegetables? Have you gone to a resteraunt hungry and ordered 2 appetizers, soup, entre and dessert and gotten full not even half way through? same deal here. big eyes.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    Tools, you walk past a cool 24v hammer drill and say to yourself holy crap 600lbs of torque! man I could use this. Even though you have 3 drills already. Have you ever gone grocery shopping while hungry and bought a bunch of snacks instead of bread, milk, vegetables? Have you gone to a resteraunt hungry and ordered 2 appetizers, soup, entre and dessert and gotten full not even half way through? same deal here. big eyes.
    Only unlike with overeating, unbuttonning the pants does nothing for the extra tools, except get you odd looks from the staff.
    -=-=-=-=-