Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor ratio question

Default Re: Monitor ratio question

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Or it's some kind of medical or aerospace visual/imaging program, and visual distortion = big problems.
    This.

We are meeting with them on Tuesday concerning this issue (and others) so I should know if it is bad coding or just lack of knowledge about what will work.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Just keep buying 4:3 monitors, they'll never die out. SyncMaster 204BM - it's a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Just keep buying 4:3 monitors, they'll never die out. SyncMaster 204BM - it's a classic.
    The problem is, that these monitors are all being EOL'd. Same with that SyncMaster.

Plus, it has to display at 1600x1200.

We are pushing this company hard, to move into the 21st century when it comes to displays. The only issue is that they have to support the legacy systems out there and that is why they need a 4:3 compatible monitor. Otherwise we could choose one (preferably 3) with a long life and be done with it.

Perhaps I'm just not understanding the situation, but this doesn't sound like a problem with a monitor, but with the signal from the graphics card (assuming that the monitor is hooked to a computer). If it is indeed on a computer, the software that came with the graphics adapter (especially if it's an expensive workstation card) should allow you to control exactly what is displayed on the screen. If it's a check box: unchecked, it stretches to fit the display, and checked, it throws some black bars on the sides to fill the unused space and centers the smaller image on the screen.
    I'm pretty sure just about all monitors are 'dumb' and don't do too much signal processing other than color correction and such...they just display what they are given. Maybe the monitor would have some kind of maximum resolution setting in its setup menu...but I doubt it.
    If its for a large hospital, tell them to suck it up and spend the cash on all new equipment. It sounds like they need it.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

mDust;

Couple of issues here.
    Due to industry regulations (ie involvement from the FDA), this company must support all installations for a certain period of time and not force an upgrade to equipment caused by an EOL part.

But the main issue is that they can not stretch the image (because it is a medical device and they need the correct aspect ratio).

So far in my testing there is no way to force a 16:9 monitor to display a 4:3 image. I have tried to force it NOT to stretch, but maybe I am missing something. There is no setting in either the nVidia or ATI control panels to force the monitor into 4:3 mode. (and we have to support both companies cards)

This may be a feature in certain monitors and that is what we are looking for.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I know at least in the nVidia control panel (in Windows) there is a setting to do scaling either with the card or the monitor. At least there has been with the two nVidia cards I've had. If they're working with old equipment, though, that may not have been implemented yet.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    mDust;

Due to industry regulations (ie involvement from the FDA), this company must support all installations for a certain period of time and not force an upgrade to equipment caused by an EOL part.
    I getcha. Any look with monitor manufacturers? Personally I'd try and get in touch with your regional Samsung (or similar) sales rep. and push them for EOL data.

What end of life period do you need to support? 3 years?

Airbozo, I found the scaling/stretch option in the settings on the monitor itself.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    I getcha. Any look with monitor manufacturers? Personally I'd try and get in touch with your regional Samsung (or similar) sales rep. and push them for EOL data.

What end of life period do you need to support? 3 years?

I think the period is 3 years, I will have to ask our customer...

We have been working with the manufacturers, and most of them will give us a heads up of 1 year before an EOL on a product. Monitors are a little different. We usually only get a 3 month notice, then we rush out and buy as many as we can based on product forecasts.

ViewSonic is the best to work with since they will give us 6 months notice and then if we commit to a certain number of units, they will make a final production run so we don't have to buy refurbs. After that we are stuck with refurbished models, then whatever is still in the channel. Brokerbin.com is a great resource for things like this.

The main problem is getting our customer to move quickly enough to qualify new parts before the EOL is reached. (that is why I have several hundred copies of Win XP in stock ONLY for this customer)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Airbozo, I found the scaling/stretch option in the settings on the monitor itself.
    I did find an option in my desktop's control panel to "scale image to full panel size" or "use centered timings". It does not seem to do anything though as it still stretches the image when I drop the settings.

My monitor does not have an option to scale or stretch in the menu. (dell monitor) I am going to check mine at home.