Thread: Super cool

Fresh Paint

Default Super cool

I've been thinking about doing a mod inside a mini fridge, the sort with a glass door, it would of course be turned on to cool the system, and to me this seems like a good idea but I can't help thinking i have over looked something, I know i will need to replace the glass so that I can make the ports come out of it but i'm sure there is probably another reason why this isn't a good idea.

Default Re: Super cool

Condensation would quickly ruin any electronics.

This has been done before, but it would be nice to see someone deal with the condensation issue.

Welcome to TBCS!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

ah yes, perhaps a dehumidifier.
    and thank you.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

One thing that might be easier to do would be to put the system outside of the fridge, liquid cool it with a liquid with a very low freezing temp, and have the radiators inside the fridge. That would let you effectively ignore condensation, and let you crank the fridge down as low as it can go.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

nice idee, i would mount the whole thing in the fridge. and mount watercooling on the cooling element (ceep the wathercooling turning else you'll have problems with frost) and put vent in the top of the fridge and some holes in the botem (u can put a cap on it so it doetsn verry good seen)

from my experience it would be safer to put the whole pc in the fridge. i used to bench with my case outside in -10C air for 30 minutes at a time and i never saw any condensation. there was however after i brought it back in. like a can of pop or beer when you have drastic temp differences.

but that being said, fridges are NOT meant to have a constant heat load in them. they remove the heat from the food and the insulation keeps it cool.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

You could always just use a conformal coating like professional LN2 clockers use...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08