Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabit hubs -- do they exist? (or was I halucinating)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Gigabit hubs -- do they exist? (or was I halucinating)

Yes, yes, I know this is a really weird request, but hey...

Basically, I have a situation at work such that I have need of a hub (yes, a hub, not a switch or router; a hub), but I also need high throughput. Now, I distinctly remember seeing a D-Link device a few years back that at least was labeled as a Gigabit Hub, but I have been searching on and off for a few months now and can't find anything.

So, has anybody seen such a thing? Even better, does anyone know where I can buy one?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: Gigabit hubs -- do they exist? (or was I halucinating)

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a Gigabit "HUB" specifically.. what do you need it for, that a switch will not function?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

We need at least one port to be able to see all traffic across the device. We have a Cisco switch that should be able to do it, but it's too smart for its own good and keeps messing with the rest of the network, and we need to be able to just plug it in and go without any custom configuration for the network it's sitting on.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Yes, they exist-just a dumb switch with no higher functions, right? Gimme a few hours, it's been a long time since I did any work with higher-end stuff.

Although my network is partially Cat6A now...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

No, dumb (layer 2) switches operate much more efficiently than hubs, which is why they're all over the place. Switches know what (physical) ports on the device traffic is going to, and only sends the traffic to that port. Hubs use a common pipe, so all traffic is sent to all devices connected to it. If anyone makes a layer 2 switch with a spanning port, that would work too, but not just a normal layer 2 switch.

EDIT:
    hub
    switch

Actually, looking at that, I guess a hub is actually a layer 1 switch.
    --Benjamin Franklin

An unmanaged switch will work for what you need. Most unmanaged switches do not direct any traffic or interfere with the network in any way except to balance traffic across all ports.

At least that is what we use our unmanaged switches for. Works just like a hub except better throughput.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Do you have a product line with a spanning port? Because all the unmanaged switches I've seen are just normal level 2 switches.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    An unmanaged switch will work for what you need. Most unmanaged switches do not direct any traffic or interfere with the network in any way except to balance traffic across all ports.

At least that is what we use our unmanaged switches for. Works just like a hub except better throughput.
    Uh, no. For a switch to be a switch it must operate as a multiport bridge (use MAC address "routing") otherwise they are Hubs and they are being mislabeled (x88x has is right). Hubs are just a multi port repeater. I have never seen a hub faster than 10/100 (probably due to the requirements for gigabit).

When you say it keeps messing with the rest of the network, what do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

TBH I don't remember exactly what it was doing; I think it was trying to integrate into the spanning tree environment, which in turn was interfering with how the existing network equipment was functioning. Whatever we find, it needs to be able to immediately sit down on any network with no configuration and mirror all the ports on it to at least one of the ports. 10/100 would definitely be better than the 10T hub we ended up picking for use in that one instance, so if you know of any 10/100 hubs, that would help. I was just hoping to find something with gigabit that would work for what we need. I'm almost to the point of just grabbing one of the little desktops we have lying around, throwing two gigabit NICs in it, and putting it inline between a switch and the network as a bridge.
    --Benjamin Franklin

May I ask why you need to monitor all of the traffic on the network?

As for 10/100 hubs, I have a 5 port linksys one sitting on the shelf, but I can't find the power brick.

Performance wise, as long as the computer isn't really slow, bridging through two gigabit ports will probably be faster than using a 10/100 hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol