Thread: Which one is better? *grin*

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Which one is better? *grin*

ok, so for a LONG time now I've wanted to add a pair of 4:3 19" LCDs, one either side, to my 22" widescreen. Lots of checking and measuring tells me that altho not identical in height, the three screens will look pretty much right.

The current 22" is a Samsung SyncMaster 2243NWX and I want things to look right so a pair of Samsung screens seem to be the way to go, and unfortunately 4:3 monitors seem to be a fast dying breed so it's becoming a do-or-die issue - if I don't do it very soon, I'll miss my chance. Having just had a nice deposit on a new website contract and the bank being surprisingly healthy, this payday, thursday may well be buying time.

Here's the thing lol - I hate not knowing what I'm getting, and there are two, almost identical monitors available which fit the bill.

The Samsung SyncMaster SM943N - Link here - Part No LS19MYAKBB
    and
    The Samsung SyncMaster SM943N - Link here - Part No LS19MYAEBB

Now yes, I know those appear to be almost the same thing but there's a tiny difference in the actual part number - the last letter but two is different, a K and a B. I looked thru the specs of them both and the main difference appears to be 8000:1 vs 700:1 contrast ratio in the intro, but reading down they both have 8000:1 with 1000:1 typical - I don't understand the difference and instead of spending hours learning what the hell it is, I figured I'd just jump in here and ask you lot....

Help????? Is there a difference, is it one that matters, which should I get?

Bear in mind, my plan is to continue to run the 22 off of my 4870 and have the two 19's running off of the cheapest dual display ATI card I can find - the 19's are going to be extended desktop in 2D only - I will stick to the main screen for any gaming etc..

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Which one is better? *grin*

IDK, judging from the dimensions listed, they might have different stands...that would be my guess..or, according to the internets, at least at one point, Samsung S/N's told you who made the panel, so that might be it. Really though, I doubt it matters. If it were a major difference, the price difference would be more. You could always contact Samsung and see what they say.

Incidentally, I think you'll love the three panels together. The dot-pitch for 22" 1680x1050 and 19" 1280x1024 is almost identical, so the movement between the panels is very seamless.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV