Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TBCS 4Ghz Club

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: TBCS 4Ghz Club

I got the 2.75 with just an increase in the FSB - any more and it won't play ball. I tried using a memory divider to clock the memory way down just to see what the CPU would do and then started bumping the FSB again - wouldnt post after that - course, I am an utter newb at anything like this. I tend to just buy something faster when what I have doesn't do the job but having checked around I've come to the conclusion that any increase in performance would be awful value for money over the 6700 on 775

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    I got the 2.75 with just an increase in the FSB - any more and it won't play ball. I tried using a memory divider to clock the memory way down just to see what the CPU would do and then started bumping the FSB again - wouldnt post after that - course, I am an utter newb at anything like this. I tend to just buy something faster when what I have doesn't do the job but having checked around I've come to the conclusion that any increase in performance would be awful value for money over the 6700 on 775
    Yeah, you're not going to get a much better processor than that for the socket, and it's still a (very) good CPU.

Having said that, it could well enter i7 territory with a decent overclock. Read up on some reviews for the motherboard that include overclocking sections, and some general lga 775 overclocking guides. Make sure there's nothing silly you're missing (e.g. locked pci-e, accidentally lowered voltage, setting fsb higher than you intended to, not enabling some sort of "OC mode").

On my P43 asrock board, no overclocking was possible at all unless the RAM was set to a lower speed than the FSB. E.g. DDR2 1066 ram must be set to DDR2 667 to overclock an 800FSB CPU. These are the kinds of odd quirks that boards can have.

So, don't get reckless of course, but don't give up on that OC

If all else fails, RMA board

This pc was cutting edge when I built it. Warranties are long gone I expect lol.

would it be cheating if i bought an amd phenomII 970 since its clocked @ 3.5ghz ?

Not really. 4 is still 4, you know. It's just those of us that start at 2.8 have further to go.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

or me @ 2.4 I'm @ 3.6 now, just 400MHz to go!! need better RAM first though

I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen because 1) I don't know enough and 2) I don't really care lol

I can adjust the CPU FSB up no problem, then set a memory divider to keep the Ram below 800, but when the puter tries to boot, it ignores the divider (or seems to) and tries to run the budget 800Mhz OCZ ddr2 at 960 (I think)

Sod it :p 4x 2.75Ghz is as much as I need anyway :p

Certain dividers are problematic as well, but I think you're experiencing an FSB hole. Try going as much as 5 or 10 steps beyond, with appropriate voltages and settings, and see how it turns out.

Also, you can look at other people with your boards, get their settings, and see how they differ.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Kayin gives sound advise, but if it really is trying to run the RAM at those speeds, you've got the settings wrong

And with a 4x2.75 is all I need attitude, you might as well have gotten a far cheaper (at the time) Q6600

P.S. I don't think this is the cause of your problems, but "budget OCZ" RAM was a bad idea

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

I'm in, right?

Last edited by Cale_Hagan; 11-10-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: bad photo post