Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell transplant question

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default Dell transplant question

Hi I recently purchased a Dell 537st inspiron. Basically due to cooling issues i moved everything into a new case without an issue. My only question is will the new psu not have any issue with the dell motherboard ? The motherboard is a dell U880P which is a micro atx. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341022 < That is the new psu
    - Computer-Geek

Default Re: Dell transplant question

i doubt there would be alot of issues... back in the day dells had alot of proprietary crap... but have since fixed that... give it a shot... worst comes to worst it doesnt... and ya send that one back for another
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

alright cool i will update thread once i get power supply on mon/tues
    - Computer-Geek

Everything went fine I only have 1 issue one of my cores stays constantly at 36c it increases by 1 if I am gaming O.o . It was my 1st time installing a heat sink and I followed all of arctic silvers 5 methods besides spreading the paste. I just put a small rice sized bit on the middle then the installed cooler. I am using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118003 This is a screenshot from the program I use to monitor temps.
    - Computer-Geek

That -128C and -75C look a little odd...but it's normal for core 0 to be a bit warmer than the rest for multi-core processors. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's my assumption that the OS defaults more processes to the first available core. It's going to be hotter because it's working whereas the others should be closer to idle.

EDIT: Unrelated to that, your 3.3v and -5v look to be a bit low. I'd find another utility or two to find out if it's a speedfan issue. hwmonitor is one. I don't trust hwmonitor's reported temperatures, but it's reported voltages have jived with other programs consistently in my experience.
    Last edited by mDust; 01-16-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: to avoid double post
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

here is a screenshot of the new program
    the real max of core 1 is 38c core 2 is 36. I am using this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341022
    - Computer-Geek

Is the computer running OK? I read up on speedfan a bit, and it has become apparent that OS based monitors shouldn't be trusted if they give wacky figures that are way out of spec. I don't think your computer would even boot with those reported voltages, and if it did it would be unstable. The 3.3v is what powers the CPU, so an easy way to check that is with CPU-z...it should show your chip running at full speed. If it also reports something funky, then reboot into the bios and check the voltages there. They should all be within + or -10%, if that also reports low voltages, you should send that PSU back.

My computer was running fine but just to double check I installed my backup motherboard I got just in case the dell mobo wouldn't work. I was surprised that I didn't need to reinstall windows 7 ^_^ I think the voltages are fine now. I had to obviously reapply the thermal paste and I am getting same results with the temps.
    - Computer-Geek

Yep! All better now! Unless that Dell mobo was damaged, it looks like they still don't use the ATX standard or something. It's obviously close though, or else it would have fried things. I'm glad it got worked out. Enjoy your newer computer.

alright cool ty for the help
    - Computer-Geek