Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usefull

Default usefull

i'm thinking about putting watercooling in a 1000W powersuply, but i dont know if it is usefull.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: usefull

Well, that all depends on the run-down of your system specs. What's under your hood?

In more cases than not, the 1000W power supplies are complete overkill unless you're running some serious hardware. It's sort of like if you have to ask, then you probably don't need it. But if you can give us your system specs, then we can recommend the perfect power supply for you.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Just to clarify, are you asking if you should get a 1kW PSU or if you should water cool a 1kW PSU? If the former, then what Zephik said. If the latter... pretty. I have actually seen this done before, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Dude made his own custom water blocks for the transistors, and imo was well worth the effort to unify the cooling of his entire system into the WC loop.

I suppose there's also the possibility that you were asking if it would be a good idea to put an entire WC loop inside a 1kW PSU, which would either be an interesting idea (if the PSU components were taken out) or a very bad idea (if they weren't).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

i'm still looking for a configuration, but this is what i've got in mind:

an intell quad 3.33ghz 8mb cache, MSI X58 Eclipse PLUS motherboard.
    12gig ram ddr3, 10 seagate 1terra harddisks, 3 ASUS Ati EAH5970 2GB vga.
    ASUS Xonar D2/PM 7.1 PCI Dolby & DTS Sound Card and a Dlink DWA-547 Wireless card

...ok, a) Holy flying monkey crap Batman! ...also, b) yeah, a 1kW would be a good idea with that setup.

Would I be correct in assuming that the CPU you're looking at is the i7-975 and the MBB is the MSI X58 Pro-E? Once you build this system, I believe benchmarks are mandatory...also, a build-log is mandatory Are you gonna be watercooling the entire thing? What case is it going in? Are you gonna be modding it?

Also, one note about the HDDs. At this point in time, 1TB drives have dropped below the price-per-gig ideal, which right now is at 1.5TB. Also, with 1TB drives you run the risk of getting a 333GB or 250GB platter drive, whereas you know that 1.5TB drives will always have 500GB platters (the highest data density available in 3.5" drives atm, and therefore the best performance with all other variables equal). Also, what will you be doing with the drives? ("data storage" is a perfectly good answer ) If it's not something that you need really high speed access to, I would highly recommend setting up a separate system as a file server and getting gigabit networking gear (if you don't have it already). Speaking from experience, it's best to segregate that task out to a separate physical system.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

yes that's the cpu and the mbb. i'll watercool the intire thing. i bont know yet if i'll use 1 or 2 radiators http://www.ikbenstil.nl/Watercooling...tor::1228.html

my first id was to use an lian li pc 343B case. but i think it wil be cheaper if i make a case by myselve i'm started engeneering the thing, but it's hard to draw the intire thing :p

grts

edit: this is a bit of the desingn i made for the case

the 2 upper gray plates are stealthed dvd writers(or blu ray, dont know yet)
    the other gray thing should be an aerocool touch 2000 temp controller

grts

Interesting design. I'm assuming the green thingies are reservoirs? What are the two tubes on top and the circle on the side?
    --Benjamin Franklin

Only two of those VGA cards will work. They're already dual GPU.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Well, they'll all work, just only two of them will be able to be joined with Crossfire. There are rumors flying that AMD is gonna be pushing out 6-way Crossfire in Q2 of this year though
    --Benjamin Franklin

Without getting myself in trouble, that might happen, but the returns are quite diminishing.

Let's just say a little, umm... dragon told me.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08